It amazes me every time I find a marble.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Mailman,
Don't worry about not knowing much about marbles--I have a funny feeling there is a lot of us out there... After all, we didn't become diggers for the marbles. ;)

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Those are clay marbles rolled by hand. They were then glazed. The dimples are where the marble was supported by a "tripod" (for lack of better word) when the glaze was fired in the kiln, leaving those dimples (or eyes) on the marbles. Even though collectors refer to these as Bennington marbles, they were most likely made in Germany.
Thank you for the information now I know a little bit more.
Hey Mailman,
Don't worry about not knowing much about marbles--I have a funny feeling there is a lot of us out there... After all, we didn't become diggers for the marbles. ;)
I
Hey Mailman,
I'm I'm easily amused if I find a body that needs a head bam there you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919-204819.png
    Screenshot_20220919-204819.png
    490.2 KB · Views: 51

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I like the maple syrup bottle, I'd definitely consider that a keeper even if it is beat up. You don't see too many embossed maple syrup bottles showing up.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'll have to look at mine closer, I know two of them are ob-longed or maybe went through a fire, although there's no burn marks on them. Here's a pic of the one I found today with a couple of the bottles found. Would also like to know how to exactly date Canada bottles, there's a "52" embossed on all them which is the only thing that looks to be a date code, the one with what's remaining of the label is a Labatt rather than Labatt's, IIRC Labatt was the earlier style, so maybe they are from '52 as I did find the RC Cola bottle that was dated '58 not far from where I found them. The Pabst cap has a price stamped on it of .62 cents.View attachment 240029View attachment 240030View attachment 240031
I think dating those will depend on the glass company which made them, but unfortunately Canadian glassmakers generally didn't go with 2-digit date codes so it can be a bit of a guessing game figuring out which decade a bottle is from. 1952 seems too early for stubbies, as far as I know they were introduced in the 60s in Canada although I suppose it's possible they saw limited use before that.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I think dating those will depend on the glass company which made them, but unfortunately Canadian glassmakers generally didn't go with 2-digit date codes so it can be a bit of a guessing game figuring out which decade a bottle is from. 1952 seems too early for stubbies, as far as I know they were introduced in the 60s in Canada although I suppose it's possible they saw limited use before that.
I could be wrong but this is 1920 or less. If it helps CRs Co. Seam stops well before the lip, and it glows under UV light.

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_000650.jpg
    IMG_20220920_000650.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220920_000620_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220920_000620_HDR.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 50

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking, most everything in that dump dates from the early to mid 70's. I looked at some Labatt stubby's listed on eBay that looked to be from the same time period, but none were listed with dates. I'm going to search out vintage dated ads and see what I come up with.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score

Good link above. I find it odd that they say 1965 was when cans were introduced, I know there are flat top cans that I'm quite sure are earlier than '65. It's also clear that both "Labatt" and "Labatt's" were used in like time periods, not sure why that is.
Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 04-01-33 LABATT HISTORIC COLLECTION.png

Last edited:

Mailman1960

Reaction score
[/
QUOTE]
Sorry I got your responses mixed up, I'm trying to be a little more selective on what I keep. It's the only maple syrup bottle ever got so it's a keeper.

Fenndango

Reaction score
ABM was introduced in 1903 and by 1915 most companies were using them. Maple syrup ~1880-1915?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu