It makes me feel so less weird

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Personally I like to look at old maps.
Agreed. Pretty much all my hunts follow that order. First look at Google maps, then look at archival maps of the same area and juxtapose the two. Drive to the selected location. Make sure to be wearing the proper clothes and boots and carry proper equipment for the type of dig. Bring food and as much water as you can carry (especially in summer).

If you find a big score, you will likely want to take it but may be miles from your car/civilization so be prepared for this. Sometimes it takes multiple visits to clear items you dug previously.

Glass and stoneware is heavy and fragile. You need to carry it properly or risk breaking it. Wrap the artifacts individually. I use plastic bags and other trash I find along the way to wrap them in, but have also used grass and native foliage, anything that puts a barrier between the finds from rubbing or hitting eachother while in your bag.
So I think water is the most important thing!

These days, I will either pack a water filter or "life straw"', but CLEAN water is imperative (ESPECIALLY when warm/hot)!

When you are really getting into it, and digging like crazy (especially if it was a hike to get where you're at), proper hydration is PARAMOUNT!!!

Fortunately some of the places I've dug have had natural springs pouring out the hillsides, but that is not the case for most of yall..

Stay safe! Be careful!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown