It makes me feel so less weird

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Just knowing that so many of y'all (too many maybe?) are combing creek beds, looking in ditches, digging in hillsides, etc. makes me feel a bit better about what so many see as a beyond strange hobby/passion..

I've broke it off with two ladies since I started this lol.
Glad I'm not alone in on this!
Some of (most) my friends just don't understand....

I can admit that is a strange thing, but it is fun and exciting (sometimes).

willong

Reaction score
Just knowing that so many of y'all (too many maybe?) are combing creek beds, looking in ditches, digging in hillsides, etc. makes me feel a bit better about what so many see as a beyond strange hobby/passion..

Beyond another excuse to roam forest and hills, I used to explain my interest in bottle digging as it being a low-grade treasure hunt, or a high-grade scavenger hunt.

Additionally, the hobby definitely ratcheted up my interest in history, taught me more about manufacturing methods and improved my research methods and land navigation skills.

Digger 57

Reaction score

We are history hunters . My wife says me and my son are nuts .she says we wonder around in the woods looking for glass like squirrels looking for nuts.keep hunting and good luck

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score

I'm fortunate in that I can combine my life's passion ( acting like a fish ) with my love of history, the appreciation of the beauty of old glass, and the consummate THRILL of a great find. In fact, I'm more concerned about the addictive aspects of The Hunt much more than people's opinions of my search efforts. Great finds are the Hunters 'crack' and I find myself needing a 'fix' ever more often.

I think I need help...!

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score

Always, Everywhere I go I have bottles on my mind lol.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Agreed. I have found near-mystical places in the pursuit of glass and stoneware relics. It's gotten to the point where finding something is merely a bonus to the adventure of simple exploration. I have seen such beautiful things in nature and found such tranquility in places most don't even know exist.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Agreed. I have found near-mystical places in the pursuit of glass and stoneware relics. It's gotten to the point where finding something is merely a bonus to the adventure of simple exploration. I have seen such beautiful things in nature and found such tranquility in places most don't even know exist.
YES!!!

Not quite mystical, but GORGEOUS!
20220924_111147.jpg

Newtothiss

Reaction score
YES!!!

Not quite mystical, but GORGEOUS!
View attachment 240586
If it wasn't for the crazy amount of bears out here (((cougars too)though I've only seen cougar scat)THANK GOD!), I would enjoy camping out here for a few days.

But I've seen 2 bears in less than 3 weeks (one where/near that photo was taken).
I don't want any interaction...

FreeBirdTim

Reaction score
The appeal of bottle digging is the same as metal detecting. You never know what you're going to dig up. Trash or treasure? Pull tab or gold ring? Clad quarter or large cent? No deposit Tab bottle or straight side Coke bottle? You'll never know until you pull it out of the ground.

Plus, there's nothing more exciting than dicovering an early 1900's dump site or coming upon a 1700's virgin cellar hole deep in the woods. It's those discoveries that keep us going, even when we're ready to call it quits.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora