J A Aitken - Alliston Ontario Hutch bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was going to share a bottle I was researching , was flipping thru a local history book at the library and it had a section on bottlers in Simcoe county area . and some pictures of various bottles , most I had seen before or have . but I hadn't seen the Alliston hutch before , in fact I don't recall ever seeing one anywhere . the only Alliston Ontario bottle I've ever had was a milk jug but I traded it for another bottle a couple years ago

which was why I took a picture of it so I could look more into it , I'm assuming its fairly rare

there is a listing in one of my bottle books for a couple Alliston bottlers , John A Aitken is listed as operating from 1884 - 1890

Alliston Ontario is a small city surrounded by farmland , 18,000 or more people now but might of only been home to 1400 or so back then ( not including rural areas nearby )

20190227_124623.jpg20190227_124634.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
my research has mostly hit a wall , didn't seem to be much available on this bottle .the book had a short paragraph about it on another page . didn't think to save it at the time and it might of had some useful info

the bottle book says he made - mineral water , soda water , ginger beer and pop

RCO

Reaction score
close to 2 years ago I first noticed this bottle in a book at library , actually found some new information yesterday . its listed on a site called the hutch book which features many hutch style bottles .

doesn't provide much information , but listed as rare and includes a picture so there is at least a couple of them out there , and likely a few other buried somewhere in the rural farmland of that area

alliston-JAaikkenN.jpg

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Yes, very rare. Same fellow that bottled in nearby Orangeville, Ontario.

ArmyDigger

Bottle digger, collector, and military historian
Reaction score
well thats the first canadian hutch ive seen to be honest I didn't real know or think that canada made hutchs since most you see are us.

Nickneff

Reaction score
my research has mostly hit a wall , didn't seem to be much available on this bottle .the book had a short paragraph about it on another page . didn't think to save it at the time and it might of had some useful info

the bottle book says he made - mineral water , soda water , ginger beer and pop
It's like this with bottles it depends on what area of the country you live in you got to realize back then when these bottles was brand new they didn't get distributed all over the country you're talkin wagon horseback so usually the bottle stayed in their little towns and their little state every now and then I get a bottle from quite a distance away but usually they're from your hometown that's why it's so hard to find out about bottle sometimes depending on the book other state where the guy lives that wrote the book he's going to know a lot about the bottles around the his area millions and millions of bottles millions and millions of places a lot of times you have a hard time finding out about him but on this site there's so many different people from all around the country that helps the whole lot

RCO

Reaction score
well thats the first canadian hutch ive seen to be honest I didn't real know or think that canada made hutchs since most you see are us.

if you check out the hutch book site there is all kinds of hutch bottles from Canada listed most are considered rare unless there from major cities like - Toronto , Hamilton , Winnipeg , Halifax , which had more people and bottlers back then

even Toronto hutches were hard to come by until they decided to build condo's along the waterfront which happened to be where the old dumps were so all kinds of older Toronto bottles were suddenly dug up a lot of hutches found there

RCO

Reaction score
It's like this with bottles it depends on what area of the country you live in you got to realize back then when these bottles was brand new they didn't get distributed all over the country you're talkin wagon horseback so usually the bottle stayed in their little towns and their little state every now and then I get a bottle from quite a distance away but usually they're from your hometown that's why it's so hard to find out about bottle sometimes depending on the book other state where the guy lives that wrote the book he's going to know a lot about the bottles around the his area millions and millions of bottles millions and millions of places a lot of times you have a hard time finding out about him but on this site there's so many different people from all around the country that helps the whole lot

true alliston wouldn't of been that big and not a lot of reason for people from outside the area to travel there .

so most of these bottles would of been used and tossed away within that small geographic area

unless you find a really old dump or privy in that area your not very likely to find one

ArmyDigger

Bottle digger, collector, and military historian
Reaction score
if you check out the hutch book site there is all kinds of hutch bottles from Canada listed most are considered rare unless there from major cities like - Toronto , Hamilton , Winnipeg , Halifax , which had more people and bottlers back then

even Toronto hutches were hard to come by until they decided to build condo's along the waterfront which happened to be where the old dumps were so all kinds of older Toronto bottles were suddenly dug up a lot of hutches found there
funny thing is ive been to hutch book to look my pottstown pa hutch and I didn't see none maybe its because I didn't look though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu