J. Grossman & Sons Mfg Co Vicksburg Miss Hutch

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the rarity of this bottle and possible value It is embossed in a round slug plate J.GROSSMAN & SONS MFG CO VICKSBURG MISS? The bottle stands right a 8in tall. No chips or cracks.

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
Forgot the pic

A023FF352AC847EFA23DE8A4CDDDBE5B.jpg

Attachments

• A023FF352AC847EFA23DE8A4CDDDBE5B.jpg
    A023FF352AC847EFA23DE8A4CDDDBE5B.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 117

celerycola

Reaction score
I have seen only one on eBay and don't recall what it sold for. They moved to New Orleans and invented Grapico around 1910. You can still buy Grapico today.

epackage

Reaction score
It's listed as scarce on hutchbook, last one to sell on eBay was in 2010, I don't have a Worthpoint membership so I can't tell you what it sold for...

beith_2005

Reaction score
I collect mississippi hutches and sodas and those are pretty common. I have and extra one myself. They usaully sell for $10-25 depending on condition. I dont know why Ron has that bottle as listed as scarce. Theres usually 3 or 4 of those for sale at the Jackson bottle show every year.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: beith_2005

I collect mississippi hutches and sodas and those are pretty common. I have and extra one myself. They usaully sell for $10-25 depending on condition. I dont know why Ron has that bottle as listed as scarce. Theres usually 3 or 4 of those for sale at the Jackson bottle show every year.
He would have it listed as scarce because the collector's he uses for that area of collecting have told him it's scarce. Since it's been an ongoing project of 25 years it's possible he was given that info a long time ago and nobody ever thought to contact him and correct. I'd suggest that you send him an email and help set the record straight because of your personal up to date knowledge, I'm sure he would appreciate the input. I have done alot of that myself on the Paterson bottle front... [;)]

beith_2005

Reaction score
I have helped him update his research in the past guess I haven't noticed the rating on that bottle before.

beith_2005

Reaction score
Except for 2 of them all of the Vicksburg hutches are pretty common. There was a J. Grossman & sons for sale at the Memphis bottle show 2 weeks ago.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage
He would have it listed as scarce because the collector's he uses for that area of collecting have told him it's scarce.

This is exactly right E. The task that Ron at hutch-book is taking on is so monumentally huge that there just is no way for him to personally know the rarity of every variant from every state or town. He (cleverly) relies on texts and experts from around the country. Some of those people that he relies on might define 'scarce' differently than others. I'm sure Ron tries to factor that in, but in the end he must trust those who know their own local bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac