Jar and some bottles - burst-off blowpipe finish.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To Madpaddla. Well Ben you have had two of these bottles on eBay, I just couldn't afford your nice returned value.
For those that are interested, Early blown mustards, most early fruit jars that received a ground finish flattening.
The one I like best is the top of the CLYDE Glass Co,. Milk Glass and Clear Glass Fire Dowser, where the finish was left rough. I am preparing a blog on these bottles for my homepage.
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To jfcutter; Hi Bill, I have been over your pages of information skidillions of times and always get concerned because there is so much information there, that I can't absorb it all.

I had seen the burst off beer bottles link you listed and on the hoosierjar eBay sales where the bubble was left on the jar because the blowpipe brook off above the bubble and the bottle maker took it home for the novelty of it.

I have thank you many silent times, every time I have gone to your pages of work. It is beyond conception and priceless to those of us that use it. RED Matthews

jfcutter

Reaction score
Hi again Red...been a while since I've checked in on Antique-bottles.com.

Thanks so much for the compliments on the Historic Bottle Website! That is always much appreciated. Yes, it was a lot of work (and continues to be such, though I've actually slowed down working on it in retirement...too many things to do!) though it has proved to have been well worth the effort judging from the immense number of great responses I've received from users appreciating it...like you.

Thanks again..........Bill

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi back Bill I have not been able to understand how we got everything done when we were at work. Now in retirement, I seem to be so busy I can't get much done at all.
RED M

pault

Reaction score
thank you very much the information. it is great .any general idea how old the jar may be?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi pault, No it is hard to tell from what I have seen. My guess is that it could be possibly any where between 1880 and 1940. I know my mother used some like yours.
RED Matthews

jfcutter

Reaction score
Hi "pault"....with the Anchor-Hocking glass makers mark on the base, the jar can not be any older than 1937 or 1938 (depending on which source one believes) since that is when that mark was first used.

See the following website for more information including some that may help decode the other numbers on the base of the jar:
http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac