JAR DOCTORS TUMBLING MACHINES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Mine is just set up and is overkill…. Huge! It takes up the whole dining room! I’m like can we get this shortened to like 3 roller length? Something that could bolt back on, if needed?(I don’t want to have to get a storage room to house it!). It can’t run where it’s at because it has no guard over parts I don’t want to peel a $14000.00 cat out of it. That part is not kosher. ( He needs good insurance-if someone’s kid got caught in that?) But I can’t wait….it looks like fun. It ran for 30 seconds, but then they started coming (Like a cat magnet.) it didn’t take seem loud at all but wasn’t loaded either. But I’m used to a rock tumbler and a sledgehammer!
That's hilarious! Rodgers would be wrapped up in the gears in no time. It is big. Small shed out in the backyard would be best i think. Just don't use it to hang clothes on...Lol! This ain't a childs rock tumbler for sure. I wish you the best of luck and of course post any and all triumphs.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Csa

Reaction score
What is the speed you turn the bottles at? Is it a Variable speed motor or are there a couple speeds it can be set to??

Jake2150

Reaction score
(But it’s a ”she” bottle addict- . Is that weird? Not to me!) It is so huge- and to add additional rollers I think it’s close to $500 that I’d be into it for, by the time I got the canister. I, for sure, am not opposed to making up my own canister for it- Robby had some really good suggestions for that. But those thic clear ones are tuff to beat! Anyone using those? Do they stay clear, or get all scratched up after the first use?
They stay clear enough that you can shine a light in. Usually I do this to see if I’ve added enough copper. My other recommendation would be to plan on using it by a utility sink. I installed one in my basement, they’re $100 at home cheapo

Vinewood

Reaction score
What is the speed you turn the bottles at? Is it a Variable speed motor or are there a couple speeds it can be set to??
The motor is a constant 1725 rpm's. (Variable speed motors almost always sacrifice torque on lower speeds.) If you purchase the "two/multi speed" jack shaft option pictured, you can swap the belt on the pulleys between the jack shaft and your drive shaft to increase or decrease the speed your canisters turn at. With the included pulleys, you actually have three speeds 2" to 3.5" for slow speed, 3.5" to 3.5" for medium speed, and 3.5" to 2" for fast speed. You could add or change pulleys to alter this as needed.

Attachments

• Belted Motor.jpg
    Belted Motor.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Csa

Csa

Reaction score
The motor is a constant 1725 rpm's. (Variable speed motors almost always sacrifice torque on lower speeds.) If you purchase the "two/multi speed" jack shaft option pictured, you can swap the belt on the pulleys between the jack shaft and your drive shaft to increase or decrease the speed your canisters turn at. With the included pulleys, you actually have three speeds 2" to 3.5" for slow speed, 3.5" to 3.5" for medium speed, and 3.5" to 2" for fast speed. You could add or change pulleys to alter this as needed.
One last dumb question pls. At the lower speed/pulley set up about how fast is it turning the bottle. How many revolutions is the bottle itself making per minute. All this time I thought those bottles being tumbled were turned pretty slowly like a slightly fast rotisserie, is that totally wrong??

Vinewood

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding. Since the shaft speed is constant, based on the pulley combination you choose, the lager the canister the slower it turns. The "slow" speed, on a Jar Doctor machine will turn a 4" at approximately 28 rpms, a 5" at 22, and a 6" at 19. Note: best for square and rectangle bottles.
"Medium speed" will give you 4" at 48, 5" at 39, 6" at 33.
"Fast speed" will yield 4" at 84, 5" at 68, and 6" at 58. Note ONLY for ROUND bottles.

Csa

Reaction score
Perfect thanks! Seriously toying with the idea of building one and wanted to know the “minimum” Rpm needed at the actual canister/bottle to effectively clean them. Sounds like 20-50 rpm is an okay range. Stay tuned. I sure don’t have bottles worth a $1,000 investment to by a real setup, but have some nice embossed milks and other bottles that could really benefit from a cleaning/polish.
thx again.
Plan B is drive 30 miles up the garden state parkway with a box of bottles to see what RobbieB would charge me to clean them!!

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
I have an old laboratory tumbler that I use for bottles. It is small(ish) but can do 2 canisters at once. It is on the noisier side and the super simple solution I found was to put a couple large cardboard boxes inside each other and then just stick it overtop of the machine while it is running. It definitely doesn't silence it, but it does cut the noise in down quite a bit. I'm sure if you have the ambition you could probably rig something with noise canceling tiles or something like that that would work better. Of course, if your machine is large then this probably isn't a practical solution.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score

I have no idea! Still learning, and trying to work out some issues with it…. Making mistakes, and making a mess. (Dad always said to find something your good at!) but I will get it figured out. There’s a slow and fast speed, they tell me. I have more polish (as I was using too much), coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Csa

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Perfect thanks! Seriously toying with the idea of building one and wanted to know the “minimum” Rpm needed at the actual canister/bottle to effectively clean them. Sounds like 20-50 rpm is an okay range. Stay tuned. I sure don’t have bottles worth a $1,000 investment to by a real setup, but have some nice embossed milks and other bottles that could really benefit from a cleaning/polish.
thx again.
Plan B is drive 30 miles up the garden state parkway with a box of bottles to see what RobbieB would charge me to clean them!!

Someone posted they were thinking about using a treadmill machine & customize a machine-hmmmmmm!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora