Jelly jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I just dug 2 or 3, maybe 4 under a House Yesterday. Left them behind. Figured worthless & I got no room to collect them. I did keep my Fish shaped Jar though. LEON.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I got this jelly jar at the same spot as the aqua blue jar. This one is clear glass just turning a light amethyst color. Pictured in UV light glows pre 1910. I found a link to the patent embossed on the base. No. 72 Pat. In US Dec. 22. 1903 July 17. 1906 M. 40. Hope you like.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
"US747451A - Can or jar. - Google Patents" https://patents.google.com/patent/US747451?oq=DEC.+22,+1903+pressure+lid
I have found many of those jars, so many I left a lot of them. Some have a slight pink color to them. I thought (at the time) if cleaned up would make make a nice Jack and Coke glass. I'll post the ones I have when found. What should I be looking for when I find them.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Uranium glass is more of a yellowish green. Purple glass is pretty weird to find in a WWII era dump though, since manganese which turns the glass purple had been phased out thirty years before that. Real uranium glass would be expected in a dump of that era. This is what uranium glass looks like:
View attachment 228692
It was pretty much exclusively used for housewares rather than bottles which would have contained products. The only exception I know of is its occasional use for seltzer syphon bottles, but that was not common and I've never seen one in person before.
I thought I posted a reply earlier if it shows up again sorry. I have found quite a few of these,and thought they were so common I started leaving them. Did keep several because of the rose tint to it, and if they cleaned up nice use it for a Jack and Coke. Will find and post, what should I be looking for, and should I keep them if I find more.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I thought I posted a reply earlier if it shows up again sorry. I have found quite a few of these,and thought they were so common I started leaving them. Did keep several because of the rose tint to it, and if they cleaned up nice use it for a Jack and Coke. Will find and post, what should I be looking for, and should I keep them if I find more.
They're probably not really worth bringing home by the dozens unless you have a way to irradiate them or leave them in full sun for a while. They really are very common. I don't think they have much collecting value but you could probably sell them at flea markets for a few bucks each if you can turn them purple.

Evokejoy

Reaction score
Hi! I have one of these. Is it safe to use as a drinking glass? Thanks!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Hi! I have one of these. Is it safe to use as a drinking glass? Thanks!
As long as you wash good. I tell everyone I'm making them a nuclear Jack and Coca-Cola, but it as pointed out is from manganese.

Reactions: Csa

ib1b4ib2

Reaction score
I got this jelly jar at the same spot as the aqua blue jar. This one is clear glass just turning a light amethyst color. Pictured in UV light glows pre 1910. I found a link to the patent embossed on the base. No. 72 Pat. In US Dec. 22. 1903 July 17. 1906 M. 40. Hope you like.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
"US747451A - Can or jar. - Google Patents" https://patents.google.com/patent/US747451?oq=DEC.+22,+1903+pressure+lid
I have 2 jars identical to your dates except mine says it’s #71

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94