Just a thought.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Let's see what you've got so I can make some offers.

haha the jug I posted is a perfect example. The “auction estimates” are much higher than a price I would take.

I sell bottles all the time for under market to get rid of them. I don’t have a pile of 5000 bottles so it’s not exactly an issue most of us deal with.

you collect beers - I have a bunch - once I unpack them again (flooded basement being fixed) I’ll show you what I’ve got

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey RB, I have to add my 2 cents to your original question. To me, recovering bottles helps to save history. Many people have connections: family, locality, product loyalty, etc. that have been lost. I was a career educator and always had dug artifacts, especially bottles, connected to the lesson. They loved it. It held their attention and they learned. I sometimes give duplicate bottles to local historical societies. No biggie. Maybe the value of additional bottles lowers the value a small bit but so much more can be gained... Okay, I'll get off my soap box now...

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Hey RB, I have to add my 2 cents to your original question. To me, recovering bottles helps to save history. Many people have connections: family, locality, product loyalty, etc. that have been lost. I was a career educator and always had dug artifacts, especially bottles, connected to the lesson. They loved it. It held their attention and they learned. I sometimes give duplicate bottles to local historical societies. No biggie. Maybe the value of additional bottles lowers the value a small bit but so much more can be gained... Okay, I'll get off my soap box now...
My experience with the local historical society isn't good. No more goodies will go to them. They lost (so they say) the bottles I gave them. They've burned their bridges as far as I'm concerned.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hi Uncle Bruce,

OUCH! I understand your disappointment decision. If ever you change your mind have any future donations marked with an accession no. (Some now have a bar code
like system.) and ask that the bottle, etc. be preserved to posterity. If really of high value, give a copy of the agreement to your lawyer. That should keep your donation from being lost to the next fundraiser fodder. I hope your lost donation resurfaces. They sometimes do.
-- CT Len

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Well said. I totally agree with a multitude of answers suggested. I value everyone's opinion. Your is no different! I never cared about the cash personally. It's the history that drew me to the hobby and so much more. Thanks for the reply.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

matthew lucier

Reaction score
i would take 3 grand cash in a heartbeat. Id rather make a quick sale and give a good deal than hold out for more money to keep dealers happy
Giving someone "A good deal" is Not a wise choice when your selling for profit. $2000.00 will affect anyone's bottom line, when you collect it. When you let it go you never miss it cause you never collected it. You say you don't want to keep the dealers happy? Guess what you probably sold to a dealer or an agent of one and boy are they gonna be mad when they sell that bottle and collect the profit.... " The money you left on the table"...
I'm just saying...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

yacorie

Reaction score
Giving someone "A good deal" is Not a wise choice when your selling for profit. $2000.00 will affect anyone's bottom line, when you collect it. When you let it go you never miss it cause you never collected it. You say you don't want to keep the dealers happy? Guess what you probably sold to a dealer or an agent of one and boy are they gonna be mad when they sell that bottle and collect the profit.... " The money you left on the table"...
I'm just saying...

No - I’m not going to hold something I decide to sell just because it has more value.

When I decide to sell something it. If someone like yourself or a dealer wants to buy and resell - great - but I want fast sales because I’m normally selling to raise cash for a buy. I know I’ve sold to dealers before but I responding specifically to the idea that my sale would soften the market

Reaction score
Have you ever read this one? Good book for beginners. Good tips inside.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

I have. Fun book and, like you said, some excellent tips.

matthew lucier

Reaction score
No - I’m not going to hold something I decide to sell just because it has more value.

When I decide to sell something it. If someone like yourself or a dealer wants to buy and resell - great - but I want fast sales because I’m normally selling to raise cash for a buy. I know I’ve sold to dealers before but I responding specifically to the idea that my sale would soften the market
What you mean to say is you hope your one sale does not Soften the market. Think about this yacorie; Who are the people who make up the market? People who "sell" make up the market. They set the prices and adjust them according to sales. Now. If you sell an item that could be purchased else where say on the market and give a lower price then you've not only taken the customer from the market, there is a good chance of the market adjusting their prices to insure the sale of future items. Material items are only as valuable as the seller suggests. So, if I can buy the same bottle from you for half the price then why should I buy from the market and why shouldn't I expect to get a "deal' the next time I'm ready to purchase items.
My previous quote as this one should not be taken as a punch or accusation towards you, It is my opinion and a generalization of the topic at hand. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding of my quote or quotes. I have no quarrel with you nor do I know enough about you to say anything of your involvement in the market place.
I'm just saying....

yacorie

Reaction score
What you mean to say is you hope your one sale does not Soften the market. Think about this yacorie; Who are the people who make up the market? People who "sell" make up the market. They set the prices and adjust them according to sales. Now. If you sell an item that could be purchased else where say on the market and give a lower price then you've not only taken the customer from the market, there is a good chance of the market adjusting their prices to insure the sale of future items. Material items are only as valuable as the seller suggests. So, if I can buy the same bottle from you for half the price then why should I buy from the market and why shouldn't I expect to get a "deal' the next time I'm ready to purchase items.
My previous quote as this one should not be taken as a punch or accusation towards you, It is my opinion and a generalization of the topic at hand. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding of my quote or quotes. I have no quarrel with you nor do I know enough about you to say anything of your involvement in the market place.
I'm just saying....

no offense taken at all.
I stand by what I said and do it all the time. When I decide to sell - I sell. I sell $10 bottles for a $1-$2, and more expensixe ones for cheaper also.

Id rather sell a $100 bottle for $70 bucks - give another collector a deal and unload it right away. I do it all the time.

I guess my point is I don’t care about the market. I prefer both parties be happy. I’m not going to go underwater on stuff I’ve paid for but that’s just how I am.

my point about auction houses was the same. When you ad in buyer and seller fees, even a place like hecklers is charging ~30% plus tax and shipping.
I’d rather sell something for much less money direct to a buyer - take out that 30% etc. I don’t care at all whether that softens the market

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac