Just bought a JD. Heise & Co. whiskey bottle 16th street

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleworm

Reaction score
I just bought this bottle off of eBay and I thought it was from Chicago but I can't find anything on it so I need some help with it. If you want pictures look it up on eBay and you will see. Hope somebody can help.

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
The only J.D. Heise I am aware of is an amber coffin style whiskey flask and it is from San Francisco. Perhaps it is a different Heise? A pic would help. as I did not see that one on ebay.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
The info I did find said it was from San. Fran. Is it a rare bottle. Sorry I don't understand pics on this site yet.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
!

Attachments

• ea9aae281a4749f7b3e2c5cb59418382.jpg
    ea9aae281a4749f7b3e2c5cb59418382.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 141

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The Heise whisky bottle that Eric posted I believe is not from San Francisco, mostly because 16th street does not go that high in addresses, and the only Heise that I am aware of from S.F. is a coffin flask type bottle. Anyway from the pic Eric posted I would think that $50.00 would be a fair price........

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Just checked the address and it may have been there when this bottle was made, still pretty far south for the time frame, but $50.00 is still a fair price..........The coffin style bottle of the same brand would go for more..............Andy

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Thank you yet again for help andy! I appreciate the time and information you give me and others on this site. Thanks!

Doug_Heise

Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread - but I wanted to provide a bit more information on J.D. Heise, who was my great great uncle. John Dietrich Heise (originally Johan) was born in Bremen, Germany, in 1865 and emigrated to San Francisco in the 1880s. He opened a grocery shop and liquor distribution business around 1903. Their first location was at the SW corner of Valencia and 16th Streets. In 1906 he bought a property at the corner of 16th Street and Rondel Place (3079-3083 16th Street - near Valencia). [Note that the street numbers on 16th Street range from the low hundreds near the Bay to the East, up to about 3800 in the hills above the Castro to the West.] On this property he built a three story building in 1907. He moved his liquor business here and also opened up a boarding house and a "Cafe" (i.e. bar). He operated the liquor business from this location until prohibition when he sold it. In 1976, the top two stories of this building burned down but the ground floor was saved. For many years after J.D. sold it, it was a place called Esta Noche, a legendary gay and transsexual bar that primarily served the growing Latinx community in the Mission district. This is now the location of the Bond Bar. After selling his liquor business, J.D. became head of the nursing program at the Franklin Hospital. He died in 1943. Attached is a brief article about J.D. Heise and Co. from a 1910 edition of a magazine called "Organized Labor". As a side note, J.D. was also a "Captain" in the San Francisco Schuetzen Verein, a German protection society and social club. He was a expert marksman and traveled around the world to participate in shooting matches.

Attachments

• Organized Labor_1910_JD Heise and Co.png
    Organized Labor_1910_JD Heise and Co.png
    707.7 KB · Views: 129
  • JD_Uniform-Colorized.jpg
    JD_Uniform-Colorized.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Schuetzen Verein Golden Jubilee Program 1909.jpg
    Schuetzen Verein Golden Jubilee Program 1909.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Drift

Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread - but I wanted to provide a bit more information on J.D. Heise, who was my great great uncle. John Dietrich Heise (originally Johan) was born in Bremen, Germany, in 1865 and emigrated to San Francisco in the 1880s. He opened a grocery shop and liquor distribution business around 1903. Their first location was at the SW corner of Valencia and 16th Streets. In 1906 he bought a property at the corner of 16th Street and Rondel Place (3079-3083 16th Street - near Valencia). [Note that the street numbers on 16th Street range from the low hundreds near the Bay to the East, up to about 3800 in the hills above the Castro to the West.] On this property he built a three story building in 1907. He moved his liquor business here and also opened up a boarding house and a "Cafe" (i.e. bar). He operated the liquor business from this location until prohibition when he sold it. In 1976, the top two stories of this building burned down but the ground floor was saved. For many years after J.D. sold it, it was a place called Esta Noche, a legendary gay and transsexual bar that primarily served the growing Latinx community in the Mission district. This is now the location of the Bond Bar. After selling his liquor business, J.D. became head of the nursing program at the Franklin Hospital. He died in 1943. Attached is a brief article about J.D. Heise and Co. from a 1910 edition of a magazine called "Organized Labor". As a side note, J.D. was also a "Captain" in the San Francisco Schuetzen Verein, a German protection society and social club. He was a expert marksman and traveled around the world to participate in shooting matches.

What a great first post!!! Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your information.

Dig SF

Reaction score
Hey Doug, I own a seismic retrofitting company in SF and we just found one of your great great uncles bottles while doing a job in Pacific Heights. I did some online searching and came across your post, hence me joining this blog. I will send some pics when Im back in my office.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado