Just chilling my emotions.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To bottle collectors.

I was recently criticized for sending some people on the AB.N FORUM; a written outline for newbies regarding the identifying marks on old bottles in order to realize the markings that relate their bottles age and value.

So many people that post their found bottles here, seem to be only looking for identity and value. I was trying to relate the markings, to the age and potential value, because these marks tend to tell us this information.

Bottle Collecting is one hobby that has really grown, all around the world. Everyone collects it for a different reason and with different interest. I have completely different objectives, because of my life having been impressed with a lot of different glass exposures. After retirement, I wanted to learn more about how the glass products were made before I went to work making them. This got me into demijohns, case gins and mineral water bottles, because the volume demand for them put a lot of pressure on the industry to make more of them; than the glasshouses could not do without innovation. The marks of process changes, fitted into the explanation of what they changed. For example the chilling of the cavity of the cast iron glass molds – that did away with the whittle; in earlier bottles made in cast iron molds.

The growth of Bottle Collecting has created a world of connoisseurs of old glass. It has taken in Early Flasks, Inks, Colognes, Sodas, Mineral Waters, Beer and every type of container for special product lines; like medicines, glass canes, whimsies and paper weights ; etc.etc.

I have tried to put together educational blogs; for my homepage on a lot of different subjects. More of them than I have been able to concentrate on. There are hundreds of books that tell us a lot of history, and there was a lot of bottle making functions and skills that were not even touched on, with the book authors because the bottle makers secret tricks, were part of his job security logic. Not only for him, but his shop crew also. This was also proven with the Makers Marks; that showed up on the Case Gin and the Mineral Water bottles; that I studied so thoroughly.

One blog that I am working on is a coverage of: PONTIL MARKS, the different types, the methods of creation and working objectives. This involves the Blowpipe Open Pontils, the Punty Rod empontiling logics and types of media and/or methods used.

There has been a lot written about the Applied Finishes, the Mold seams, the Snap Cases, the Mold types and mold seams, the ground finishes, the ABM processes. But there is a lot of detailed information that could be written, if someone asked pointed questions.

After 1903 the whole thing became a mechanized mass produced quantity of containers and now we are well converted to plastic. What we have to worry about today is the ground-up used plastic containers being added to the feed for our pets, and product producing animals. Like now the poisoned people in China from melamine in chicken food that poisoned the egg yokes; and babies from melamine in cow food, ending up in consumed milk, butter and other products. It even makes me wonder how much melamine is going into the fish food, that is being blasted over the holding net fields for to-days fish we eat.

RED Matthews

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Howdy Red!

It's pretty obvious that what you say is true about MOST people coming here just to get a value of a bottle they tripped over on the hiking trail.. I can see why they couldn't care less about how it was made.. your expertise is at a level which only the most serious, passionate, and dedicated antique bottle collectors will appreciate, and WE always love to read your comments, and your blogs.. all your research and hard work will never be lost on those of us who want to learn, but as they say.. you can lead a horse to water... [;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
So many people that post their found bottles here, seem to be only looking for identity and value.
That's the key Red, don't sweat it it. Most newbies want value first and the secondary is info. They may try to be polite by asking for info but it's just a hidden agenda in many cases. The real collectors are people that really care and find the info part way more valuable than the bottle. I'm one of those people.
Eric

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Red, you do a fantastic job, you REALLY do. I don't post many comments because, as you know, I am restricted to a wheelchair caused by 2 strokes and a heart attack, but I always read most of the postings when I can. Obviously, I no longer dig, but I still find reading about them to be very interesting. Keep up the good work! I wish you were around when I was writing!

Mike

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Rick, I believe we are in year 10 of ABN's existence.. we should have an anniversary celebration maybe..

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE VALUE ON THE ACL'S I COLLECT ...IT'S FINDING THE ONES I REMEMBER FROM CHILDHOOD AND JUST TO ADD TO MY COLLECTION.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi