Just chilling my emotions.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Rick, I believe we are in year 10 of ABN's existence.. we should have an anniversary celebration maybe..

10 years wow well I made it through more then half [8D].

Lets all meet at the Bahamas for a celebration[:D]

Conch times

Reaction score
Ok so I'm brand new to all of this bottle business. I have been lucky enough to be on a wonderful dig the past few months and that's what brought me to you guys forum. Now don't get me wrong I love to track down the history of what I'm finding but I have come across around 4 or 5 hundred bottles on this dig that I have brought home. Some of which I would never let go because of where they are from or just cause I fel in love with some of them. These are on display in my home and that's not going to change, which sounds to me like the common thing among collectors to keep what you really have a passion for right? So what I'm wondering is this , is it bad to find out the value of what you have and try to sell some for my own bennifit and the bennifit of some collector who would love to have what I have found? I would like to think I understand mr. Mathews point on some newbies just chiming in on there first post and asking what something is worth, even I can see that some just want to make a quick buck. But I also hope that there is a gray area too, meaning there are guys like me that like to learn from you guys but can also make some other collectors happy by helping them extend there collection as well. I hope someone will take the time to learn me further on this subject, I certainly don't mean to disrespect the game or any of it's players but for now I'm under the impression that it is better to make some fellow diggers happy by selling a few bottles that would otherwise sit under the house and collect dust forever. I encourage any feedback on this post good or bad, I beleave there are guys like me that don't mean to rock the boat but we don't know any better. Once again I hope this does not make anyone mad especially you Mr. Mathews.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There's a huge grey area!
I highly doubt there is anyone here who isn't interested in turning some of their time, sweat, gas, drinking water and all the expenses into a little extra for the next time.
It's more about people that want to know how much and info. Red has the info and seams to be getting responses like "I don't care, what's it worth". That was my take anyway.
We all get that here and I will very rarely give an opinion of value. It's so unpredictable anyway depending on the economy and all the other conditions that apply to any antique.

Conch times

Reaction score
I know I'm alittle off of Reds subject but I thought what I was talking about may apply here, plus I knew it would get hits cause everyone looks at reds posts! The best way I can explain is, for me coming to the forum when I did is like getting to a movie that's half way through. I don't know what's going on and I keep asking questions and bugging everyone to try and catch up, hope this makes sense to you guys. BTW if anyone shows MR.Mathews any disrespect they should be ashamed! Even a novice such as myself can see the mans far superiority.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Information is power and learning in the bottle collecting hobby. Red, you are to be commended for trying to further knowledge with members here. I too am a Red "groupie". It never ceases to amaze me that we have someone who worked in the bottle manufacturing community on this forum. You represent the sort of knowledge and experience that is almost non-existant now.

Whatever you sent, I would have been glad to receive it. And I've been collecting for dang near 40 years myself...

Jim G

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I greatly respect your knowledge, Red, and for anyone to disrespect you would be bottle blasphemy. Your experience in the field of glassmaking has given you a greater depth of understanding than most of us could hope to acquire.

On this subject, I think everyone should collect what they like best, whether it be ABM soda bottles or pontiled ink bottles. Obviously the latter's value is greater; but that doesn't mean the former is worth collecting any less. If we start telling people that ABM bottles are worthless, we're not showing much respect to people who enjoy those bottles, are we?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Red's a great man who has led a long and interesting life....How dare anyone give him s#*t ! To hang out with him and listen to his stories and knowledge is amazing...Good fella, very deserving of everyones respect.
m6.gif

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Ignore em Red all us older bottle collectors who like the older glass really appreciate your knowledge, and look forward to the information you dispense here and at your great bottle site.....Andy

surfaceone

Reaction score
I was recently criticized for sending some people on the AB.N FORUM; a written outline for newbies regarding the identifying marks on old bottles in order to realize the markings that relate their bottles age and value.

Hello RED,

Please pay no attention to the ignorant remarks of I don't even wanna know who would say any such thing. I think all the old hands and forward looking members appreciate your welcoming package of information to the newbie, and your ongoing sharing of your expertise and experience with even some of us not-so new folks. [8D]

I always learn something when you are "in the house." I thank you for that.

6755468161383023_hjpxydgm_f.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora