Just chilling my emotions.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

If we start telling people that ABM bottles are worthless, we're not showing much respect to people who enjoy those bottles, are we?

So simple a 16 year old gets it, a point that should be taken by others.

Thank you Wheelah.

beendiggin

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with assigning values to the stuff we like. When I started collecting bottles by digging over 30 years ago all I wanted to know was "what's it worth?"so the first thing I did was to read a Kovel's guide and that's part of why I stayed in this hobby. After all, who wants to start collecting coins, bottles , stamps or whatever with no regard for $$ value? The reason there's a bottle collecting hobby is because there is a $$ value. New people to this hobby don't know a thing about the historical value.......that comes later. The dollar value is most enticing at first and the historical value (hopefully) follows. Then for some, the history takes the place of the $$. That's the turning point. At that point, the hobby has truly grown by one more person and the ABN has potentially gained a new forum member.
We really need to encourage the newbies by educating them about all aspects...historical, sentimental, and yes, $$$.
Even Red was a newbie at one point. Someone encouraged him I'll bet. We all had to start somewhere.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
EXCUSE ME ...BUT DAMN YOU SAID THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH....I JUST WISH I COULD HAVE PUT IT AS WELL AS YOU JUST DID..

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, this one has drifted off elsewhere.. what else is new!?

As far as people coming here for quotes on their worthless bottles, we should simply try to be diplomatic and friendly about things while giving them the bad news.. encouragement does go a long way, and so does a bit of info about that 1970's POS.. [;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

If we start telling people that ABM bottles are worthless, we're not showing much respect to people who enjoy those bottles, are we?

So simple a 16 year old gets it, a point that should be taken by others.

Thank you Wheelah.

I don't think they are worthless I just don't like um [:)]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
matters what the ABM is, some are good , some are without significant value. Some pontil marked bottles are nothing to write home about either.
But one man's junk is another man's treasure.
My kid picks up broken glass and imagines its diamonds.
We just call em like we see them.

delphinis

Reaction score
Regretfully I have to admit that when I first started collecting bottles, the 1st thing I would think when I found a bottle is "I wonder how much this is worth?". Fortunately I moved past that stage and now I am more interested in the history of the bottles I have rather than the value. Sometimes when I hold one of my bottles I think about the unknown glassblower who made it and think about how he may no longer be around but his handywork is, some 100 or so years later. Case in point one of my favorite bottles in my collection is an emerald green JSP bottle with an applied top(pictured below). It's a common bottle and not probably not worth that much but that doesn't matter that much to me. I love the color and stretched out bubbles in the neck. I'm thinking it's probably the oldest bottle I have (1880's? please correct me if I'm wrong). Now when I find a bottle the first thing I wonder about is the age and history of the bottle.

A7C35C2AE86045FBBDA1B3DB98900F7F.jpg

Attachments

• A7C35C2AE86045FBBDA1B3DB98900F7F.jpg
    A7C35C2AE86045FBBDA1B3DB98900F7F.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 84

delphinis

Reaction score
Red
I meant to add in my previous post that I also enjoy, appreciate and learned alot from your very informative posts. Thank you for all the help and information you have provided us.

Anthony

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch