Just had an old bottle book given to me..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
"Antique Bottle Finds in New England"
By Virginia T. Bates & Beverly Chamberlain.
Printed 1968.

Has some interesting prices listed...

Farleys ink, OP, dark amber, 6 panels, 4" tall, $15-$25....Same bottle but 8" tall, $20-$25...

Saxlehner Bitterquelle Hunyardi Janos..$4 - $6.....

Dr. J. Pettit's Cancer Balsam, flask, clear glass, 3-1/2" tall, $2 - $4....

Dr. Stephen Jewett's celebrated health restoring bitters, OP, $15 - $20...

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Must remember that $20 in 1968 would fill a gas tank sufficiently to drive from Salt Lake City to Reno -- and back. Pop worked as a full-time jet mechanic at Hill Air Force Base, Clearfield, Utah for $400 per month. You could rent a house for under $100 per month and I earned $12 to $15 dollars a day bucking hay. All things are relative and relativity, my friends, is a strict taskmaster.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
So the Saxlehner Bitterquelle Hunyardi Janos would be worth how much today with inflation? Say 8x for inflation? $40-$48...

And the Farleys....they far exceeded inflation...Say 8x $25 for inflation......$200...but what are they worth now? $1,000?

Anyways, I was wondering how "common" this book is, and if it is worth what it sold for or more...basically does it hold it's value with inflation adjusted? It cost $3.95 new..

onabininger

Reaction score
hi ,,sometimes things are different....the bitters bottle is not really desirable ...common at this time and most collectors that have them are for sale or try get them gone.....the book is an interesting source of info..all books sell...The book is better than the bitterquelle..by far..

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hi Wendy. I know, that's why I listed the H-J bitterquell as an example of how one bottle went way down in value while the Farleys and others went sky high..

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp