Knackered after a horrible day of finding things.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
The things I do to just to get crappy stuff. My main spot had high water, was muddy, and had currents. Very sketchy. Found a bottle on the only accessible bank and lost it stumbling over stupid huge weeds, which is stupid. Went to 2 other creeks in town and had pot luck. Tons of milk glass jars and only 3 bottles. I broke one with me stumbling AGAIN. I had a nasty encounter, when I got to the end of my journey. There was a ‘pool’ of trash and rotted wood. I wanted to get to the road near by so I thought “Well” - I regretted this. I went waist deep in this stew of ungodly substances and objects. Oh, and then to make it better, I was in someone’s back yard when I got out of the swamp. Well, I tried following the creek (barley one anymore) until I got to a huge, deep, pond (?) in it. So I had to run across someone’s backyard to the street nearby. ANYWAY, what’s the finds you may ask. Here. I actually like the prohibition bottle, never seen one in that size before. Hesitated to take it but stumbled apon it again and took it. Maybe I should have a rule if I want to take something in the first place, I should probably go with my instinct and take it. It actually reminds me of the big strap sided flasks.
9D024E7E-0B19-41D3-A770-12E7A60A8045.jpeg

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
The things I do to just to get crappy stuff. My main spot had high water, was muddy, and had currents. Very sketchy. Found a bottle on the only accessible bank and lost it stumbling over stupid huge weeds, which is stupid. Went to 2 other creeks in town and had pot luck. Tons of milk glass jars and only 3 bottles. I broke one with me stumbling AGAIN. I had a nasty encounter, when I got to the end of my journey. There was a ‘pool’ of trash and rotted wood. I wanted to get to the road near by so I thought “Well” - I regretted this. I went waist deep in this stew of ungodly substances and objects. Oh, and then to make it better, I was in someone’s back yard when I got out of the swamp. Well, I tried following the creek (barley one anymore) until I got to a huge, deep, pond (?) in it. So I had to run across someone’s backyard to the street nearby. ANYWAY, what’s the finds you may ask. Here. I actually like the prohibition bottle, never seen one in that size before. Hesitated to take it but stumbled apon it again and took it. Maybe I should have a rule if I want to take something in the first place, I should probably go with my instinct and take it. It actually reminds me of the big strap sided flasks.
View attachment 230959
Sounds like me. If anything can go wrong will go wrong and spiral out of control hopelessly. Ending up in someone's backyard is a good one covered in slime...Kids will be having nightmares for years. Lol! I like the whiskey flasks. I am always good for one in the backpack. Picture of some flasks and my backpack. Short of falling backwards I am fine. Even then it is canvas. I can't hold on to anything. My hands have a bad habit of just forgetting I have something in my hand. After a while I will drop it if I don't stay focused. That’s why everyone gets bagged and backpacked.(it is loaded various pieces with bubble wrap and plastic bags to cover and keep from scratching one another.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 16344693847034200814414007683598.jpg
    16344693847034200814414007683598.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 20211017_070918.jpg
    20211017_070918.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
View attachment 230959
There's no doubt this hobby can stretch you to the limit! I recall an evening dive where my finds were fantastic, but it was a long, long swim downstream. As light was fading, I was loaded down with booty, so much so that I elected to make the return journey on the surface. After a while I found my load placement was too cumbersome, so I moved to shallower water to re-adjust my bags of loot; in doing so, I placed them on the bottom so that I might adjust my gear. Unbeknownst to my fatigue-addled brain, I had drifted a ways while re-adjusting, so when next I looked down to retrieve my loot it was nowhere in sight! A cold stab of panic shot through me! Blessedly, that shot of adrenalin cleared my head & I began a coordinated search, retrieving my goodies in short order - WHEW! Now, back to the business of getting back to my car! Off I went, finning strongly, anxious to escape the encroaching darkness. Every now & then I'd look behind me, searching for landmarks that would indicate my parking area; on & on I swam, the load getting heavier by the minute. When next I looked back, to my relative horror, I see a bridge, which could only mean I'd been swimming in the wrong direction! ACK! I spun around, put my head down & drained my last reserves of strength in an all-out dash for home! Finally, I reached my entry point, remembering then what an awkward, stumbling goo-pit was my entry/egress area. With every stumble my treasures would clink & rattle, filling me with the dread of damage; however, I managed to remove myself from the quagmire with all finds intact! To home, a nice cold beer & a well-earned, exhausted sleep!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
There's no doubt this hobby can stretch you to the limit! I recall an evening dive where my finds were fantastic, but it was a long, long swim downstream. As light was fading, I was loaded down with booty, so much so that I elected to make the return journey on the surface. After a while I found my load placement was too cumbersome, so I moved to shallower water to re-adjust my bags of loot; in doing so, I placed them on the bottom so that I might adjust my gear. Unbeknownst to my fatigue-addled brain, I had drifted a ways while re-adjusting, so when next I looked down to retrieve my loot it was nowhere in sight! A cold stab of panic shot through me! Blessedly, that shot of adrenalin cleared my head & I began a coordinated search, retrieving my goodies in short order - WHEW! Now, back to the business of getting back to my car! Off I went, finning strongly, anxious to escape the encroaching darkness. Every now & then I'd look behind me, searching for landmarks that would indicate my parking area; on & on I swam, the load getting heavier by the minute. When next I looked back, to my relative horror, I see a bridge, which could only mean I'd been swimming in the wrong direction! ACK! I spun around, put my head down & drained my last reserves of strength in an all-out dash for home! Finally, I reached my entry point, remembering then what an awkward, stumbling goo-pit was my entry/egress area. With every stumble my treasures would clink & rattle, filling me with the dread of damage; however, I managed to remove myself from the quagmire with all finds intact! To home, a nice cold beer & a well-earned, exhausted sleep!
You should try writing a book! Great story telling.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Sounds like me. If anything can go wrong will go wrong and spiral out of control hopelessly. Ending up in someone's backyard is a good one covered in slime...Kids will be having nightmares for years. Lol! I like the whiskey flasks. I am always good for one in the backpack. Picture of some flasks and my backpack. Short of falling backwards I am fine. Even then it is canvas. I can't hold on to anything. My hands have a bad habit of just forgetting I have something in my hand. After a while I will drop it if I don't stay focused. That’s why everyone gets bagged and backpacked.(it is loaded various pieces with bubble wrap and plastic bags to cover and keep from scratching one another.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I put the good stuff in the back pack, and the junky stuff in the big bag. I only take extra care of museum quality items.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I put the good stuff in the back pack, and the junky stuff in the big bag. I only take extra care of museum quality items.
Bubble wrap and bag the good stuff is right. If it's crap I try not to take it, unless I have a question about a shard of embossed glass.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That was good. I am almost drained reading your story. I hate when the sun goes down and I'm on land. I don't know how you deal with night and the water. Love you posts and finds!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

RCO

Reaction score
i don't know have good and bad weeks here , sometimes find very little and then other weeks find all kinds of neat items .

just found a very large former municipal dump site on a wooded hillside , not sure there is anything old there but worth another look

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
i don't know have good and bad weeks here , sometimes find very little and then other weeks find all kinds of neat items .

just found a very large former municipal dump site on a wooded hillside , not sure there is anything old there but worth another look
Roots may be a problem if it’s heavily forested. Grab a cutter and dig down to see if it turns old.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu