L. Pierre Valligny

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blackglass

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've owned this bottle for some time now, and I've done a countless number of searches, but I still am coming up with a big goose egg. It reads: "L. Pierre Valligny La Goutte-A-Goutte New York". Its about 7 in. tall and about 1 in. wide with a well-worn aluminum screw-on dose cap with an original cork. It has no markings on the base and BIM, the seam stops a little after the threads. It most likely dates between 1890-1910 and is most certainly of French origin, because "Goutte-A-Goutte" translates to "Drop By Drop" in French. Any information ( history, value, ect...) on this unusual bottle will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Michael
Pic.

3CFCBF77CC524B05B78A1EB1BB2E50EF.jpg

Attachments

• 3CFCBF77CC524B05B78A1EB1BB2E50EF.jpg
    3CFCBF77CC524B05B78A1EB1BB2E50EF.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 344

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Digger O'Dell's site had 2 queries about this (or a similar bottle ) back in 2002...one from a descendent.

Hi, I recently stumbled across your site while researching my family history. By searching for websites mentioning my family name, I found that several people had written to you concerning bottles with the name "l. Pierre valligny". Consulting my father, I learned that the name on these bottles belonged to my great-grandfather, who came to the us from central France around 1906. My father believes that the bottles contained hair dyes that he mixed and sold in Manhattan. I assume that "la goutte-a-goutte" (translated "drop-by-drop"?), which was also mentioned, was the name of his product.

I am interested in perhaps obtaining one of these bottles, or at least seeing a photo of one. Is there a way I can get in contact, through you, with one of the people who have found these bottles?
Thank you,
Chris valligny

I also noted the FTC investigations of 1932 & 1940 cited the company...

Valligny Products, Inc. NY.

Misrepresenting results effected ; passing off domestic products as Imported products : hair dyes.

So...it was a hair dye and the company made it up until at least 1940.

Blackglass

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Whiskeyman! Does anyone happen to know if this bottle is of any value? Its apparently not often come by, but would its obscurity weaken its value? Thank you
Michael

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I'd say it has value, especially to Chris Valligny (above)...and there are collectors of hair bottles. But I don't know its actual "worth."

cvalligny

Reaction score
Yes, I'm definitely interested in the bottle, Blackglass. I've collected about a dozen of these from all over the country since I posted that message in 2002. I haven't uncovered much more about the history of my great-grandfather's bottles since then, and what Whiskeyman posted is all correct. I'd like to add this to my collection, if you're willing to part with it. Please let me know if you're interested in selling. Thanks! Chris

Jostman623

Reaction score
I purchased this Valligny Products - Shampo - Kolor bottle at a flea market in northern WI a couple years ago and it now sits on a shelf in my bathroom. Thought it was a cool find. I came here to see if there was any info on it but haven’t found much.

Attachments

• 32667545-E44A-4DBC-B8B1-BF6990BF6658.jpeg
    32667545-E44A-4DBC-B8B1-BF6990BF6658.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 347

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94