Large 1940's Dump Discovered - Advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
You're both kind of right. Most of what I find here is junk. I leave 95% of it, and I probably still take more than I should.

Yes, I find loads of ketchup bottles and those round whiskey bottles with the band at the base of the neck. I think they're Rye Whisky bottles. I've never posted a pic of one in this thread, but they are very numerous.

I've never found an intact milk bottle here. Most sodas are broken, but I've found a few good non-local ones.

I've found just enough interesting bottles here to keep going back, but I spend more time looking for older dumps. Well, I've not been looking much lately due to the weather, but I'm still on the lookout for that holy grail 19th century dump.

it be neat to find a 19th century dump , I've never really had any luck finding one here . there seems to be more 40's -50's era dumps which usually don't have much good

I'm not exactly sure why milk bottles would be harder to find in BC , sure there must be a local reason for it

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I'm the same, I much prefer somewhere off in the woods over anything urban unless it's a very isolated riverbank or gully. I've never done a privy dig either, they seem to be pretty rare in Canada although I did know people on the Island who dug privies.

And RCO I have no idea why milk bottles are so hard to find in BC, I guess it could just be a coincidence but it seems odd. The attic mint ones certainly aren't that rare of a find. Not that I've had much luck with milks out here either, though I do know of a dump with a layer of nothing but broken Ottawa Dairy milks. I imagine there are some intact or nearly intact ones in there as well, but I never bothered digging it because of how common those bottles are. I found one of the quarts at a thrift store a couple months ago and left it there because I didn't want it taking up space.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah I'm the same, I much prefer somewhere off in the woods over anything urban unless it's a very isolated riverbank or gully. I've never done a privy dig either, they seem to be pretty rare in Canada although I did know people on the Island who dug privies.

And RCO I have no idea why milk bottles are so hard to find in BC, I guess it could just be a coincidence but it seems odd. The attic mint ones certainly aren't that rare of a find. Not that I've had much luck with milks out here either, though I do know of a dump with a layer of nothing but broken Ottawa Dairy milks. I imagine there are some intact or nearly intact ones in there as well, but I never bothered digging it because of how common those bottles are. I found one of the quarts at a thrift store a couple months ago and left it there because I didn't want it taking up space.

I've never dug a privy and don't know of anyone doing that locally , although I'm fairly sure there is people who do dig them in southern Ontario/ Toronto area

space can become an issue with bottles , I have a few extras and things I don't need I wouldn't mind selling at a yard sale . there was a local consignment auction but they haven't had any for 2 months ( they raised there fees and commission amounts and now there seems to be no sellers ) they have one schedule for march but will only be a go if they find enough items

BottleDragon

Reaction score

Did you happen to know Wayne J. Wagar? Sadly it appears he passed away not long ago, but he had an impressive collection of Vancouver Island and BC bottles that he dug. I did not know him, but I enjoyed browsing his blog: http://theouthouse.ca/outhousewp/

BottleDragon

Reaction score
I haven't been back to this place in over a month, but here's one bottle I didn't post before.

It appears to be a miniature whiskey bottle with a (crude) tooled top and a rounded base. It's just under 6" tall, no mold seams. There are no markings on it, so I don't know the age or anything else about it.

miniwhiskey.jpg

miniwhiskey2.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Did you happen to know Wayne J. Wagar? Sadly it appears he passed away not long ago, but he had an impressive collection of Vancouver Island and BC bottles that he dug. I did not know him, but I enjoyed browsing his blog: http://theouthouse.ca/outhousewp/
Oh man, I hadn't heard that Wayne passed. Very sad to hear that, I did know him although not that well.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora