Large bottle in old house I bought.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
My cousin filled a 10 gallon water jug. It cracked the bottom off just trying to slip a a piece of plywood under it. After that happened the sides just bust out. A big mess of glass and change. I've heard the story a few times, funny when he tells it. Bottle was not valuable at all, change has little value either.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

butchndad

Reaction score
My cousin filled a 10 gallon water jug. It cracked the bottom off just trying to slip a a piece of plywood under it. After that happened the sides just bust out. A big mess of glass and change. I've heard the story a few times, funny when he tells it. Not valuable at all.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I use an almost two foot tall graphite crucible from the Dixon Crucible company of Jersey City

butchndad

Reaction score

Attachments

• 246D7435-2C85-4C95-BAFC-05DE741BA6DD.jpeg
    246D7435-2C85-4C95-BAFC-05DE741BA6DD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 56F00C14-64AC-4AE8-9AC6-E547B841FBA3.jpeg
    56F00C14-64AC-4AE8-9AC6-E547B841FBA3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Nice crucible. I'd like to know more about its use. Fill that with pennies, and try to move it! New meaning to "carbon footprint".
Agreed, it's a really bad idea to put anything into one of those larger bottles, anything that weighs more than the liquid that would originally have been contained (eg 5 x 8.3 pounds = 41.5 pounds of water in a 5 gallon bottle), and considering, as noted in prior posts, pressure points against the interior surface from marbles, coins, etc, as opposed to the even pressure of a liquid, that 41.5 pound limit is highly suspect. It's almost as bad an idea to put anything into one that won't come out easily -- eg regular wine corks into a regular 5-gallon water bottle -- because they are very difficult to remove, and there is risk of breaking the bottle in the process, as you shake it and probe it and become tired and frustrated. Pin(with squiggle)ata thoughts occur.
When the big bottles break there can be very large pieces with very sharp edges -- at least as sharp as the edge of a broken piece of glass! -- heavy, awkward to handle, quite dangerous. I have had just two of the 5-gallon water bottles break in shipping. One, very sad, was from Morgan Spring in New York, an old bottle (not by your standards, probably about the 1920s). The shippers -- I seem to recall was UPS -- notified that the bottle was "delivered". Well, I had not received it, so unless stolen form the front porch (not unlikely), there was some kind of a mistake. My enquiries found that the bottle had made it close to delivery but somehow was broken, and UPS decided that to handle, ie deliver, the pieces that resulted was so dangerous that they instead "destroyed" them -- sort of a bomb-squad approach to that old ripe dynamite.
Broken carboys = very dangerous.
By the way, if any of you has (?have) a Morgan Spring 5-gallon bottle for sale, please let me know. I have seen just that one, so probably not many of them around (and one less now). Note, however, that since no one wants such a bottle, it has little-to-no value, and this consideration, on top of the hazard of ownership, means that you will likely want to GIVE it to me, or PAY me to take it. This is my best advice.
There are 180 copper-clad zinc pennies to a pound, and 145 copper pennies to a pound. So 41.5 pounds of post-1982 pennies = 41.5 x 180 pennies = 7470 pennies, $74.70. And 41.5 pounds of pre-1983 pennies = 41.5 x 145 pennies = 6018 pennies, $60.18. A barely adequate retirement fund; deduct the cost of the stitches....

relic rescuer

Reaction score
Found this in a old house I bought and am tearing down.On the bottom is MCA. STD. 1961. And I believe 13G. Any information would be helpful. Manufacturer,Value,Rarity. I was going to put change in it but would go broke trying to fill it!
If you put change in it, don't let it get too full. Like no more than two inches deep. In fact I would advise against it altogether. I gave one of those to a friend and that was what they did, and the weight of all the coins broke it.

Bohdan

Reaction score
I think the large bottle is likely to be an acid (or other caustic chemical) shipper. These had a wood frame to protect the glass, and were shipped by rail from chemical producer to manufacturer.
Filled, the bottle is too heavy to move by hand (most chemicals are considerably heavier than water which is about 8 lbs per gallon). They would be moved by machines like fork-lifts. Fermenters for wine are smaller so that they can be moved.

Here are some typical wine fermenters or shippers:

View attachment 230041View attachment 230042
That's why imperial measurements are so much easier - 1 gallon water = 10 lbs. = 1 cubic foot

K6TIM

Reaction score
Found this in a old house I bought and am tearing down.On the bottom is MCA. STD. 1961. And I believe 13G. Any information would be helpful. Manufacturer,Value,Rarity. I was going to put change in it but would go broke trying to fill it!
The bottle looks like a 1950's old soft water cooler like the old arrowhead soft drinking water bottle of sorts.You can call that old boy a demi-john large capacty jug.

embe

Reaction score
That's why imperial measurements are so much easier - 1 gallon water = 10 lbs. = 1 cubic foot

Not to stray too far off topic but my understanding is 1 litre water = 1 kg = 1000 cubic centimeters.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora