Large brewery seltzer/siphon bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Auburnbeer

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few "normal" seltzer bottles from the hometown breweries which I collect. This one's a little different, very large 8" ×8". Very heavy like a seltzer, with a threaded top with I would assume takes a top like a seltzer.. Etched on front Says" this siphon remains the property of the Independent Brewering Co. Auburn NY" just a cool piece (in my eyes) wanted to share .
Thanks, Scott
20210929_094048.jpg
20210929_094041.jpg
20210929_094624.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks nice to me, I like it. Congrats. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If you can take a picture I'd be curious, never seen a seltzer with a threaded top before.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, never seen one of those before! I wonder what it was used for, and if it actually was a seltzer siphon.

Auburnbeer

Reaction score
Sorry here are the pics
No picture... now I'm sad... :(
Bruce, put in the pics
Wow, never seen one of those before! I wonder what it was used for, and if it actually was a seltzer siphon.
I'm thinking, it saying "remains the property of" it could have been in a drug store type of establishment and would get refilled ????

willong

Reaction score
I'm thinking, it saying "remains the property of" it could have been in a drug store type of establishment and would get refilled ????
Just a poke in the dark here; but I think it was more likely a situation similar to today's drinking water contracts where the provider supplies the cooler and regularly restocks the 5-gallon bottles, taking the empties with them for refilling.

I imagine seltzer would have been utilized by many hotels, bars and saloons as well as drug stores.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Sorry here are the pics

Bruce, put in the pics

"Remains the property of" is pretty conventional wording on most types of returnable bottles up to the early 20th century. I don't think there's much you can draw from that apart from it being a deposit bottle of some type.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora