Last Monday dump dig. Some decent stoneware.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Macaco

Reaction score
Lordbud said:
Several bottlers sold both beer and soda water. Your Eureka California bottle would have likely held a brew of some sort such as Hard Cider -- although it is embossed otherwise. TOC dumps in California often contain very nice embossed bottles courtesy of PCGW manufacturing bottles the old fashioned way up through the early 1920s. Hutches were still in common use in SF up until the 1906 Earthquake. Embossed tooled crown top bottles were used throughout the 1910s and can have some decent crudity as well. Are you digging bay landfill or a creekbank dump?
Hello Jason,
Interesting. The amber color on the Eureka bottle does seem to indicate something other than soda water contents.The Chevalier flask is embossed PCGW on the base.Not landfill I'm pretty sure. Not a creekbank either. Flat topography with patches of bottles and trash. Uneven distribution of material. It's a weird spot.

Macaco

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
Awesome dig. Glad you finally figured how to download the pictures(and they are great pictures). The florida water is a good find. I also like the whiskey sampler, she's cute. Have you searched high and low for the broken handle from the japanes cup? That would be an easy fix if you could find it. That thing is beautiful. What about the tamale guy? What that heck is that? Great dig and glad you could finally show your finds.
Hello Mark,Thanks. I have found several of the Paul Jones whiskey samplers. No value really but good give-away bottles.I did look for the handle. No luck. It might have been busted before it went into the dump.The Hot Tamale is a true oddball. I searched the web for information about it. All I found was that it's a whiskey bottle. I don't know if that's the brand name or if it was a novelty container to pour one's own whiskey into. It's a TOC container from what I read.

tigue710

Reaction score
Steve, the bay is almost 50% filled in. A large portion of this filling was done in 50-60's when the save the bay campaign was started and now filling the bay is frowned upon although it still hasn't stopped completely. After the 1906 earth quake huge tracts of the bay's mud flats were filled in by barges with trash and debris from the earth quake. A lot of these area's have spotty bits of trash and a lot of rubble. Most are leveled out flat. Also during the development in the 60's and 70's the dirt dug out of down town for the high rise buildings was dumped in the bay. These areas have spotty bottles and rubble and were leveled out with bulldozers. The bay was also used as land fill for the cites all around it. I have what is supposed to be a good spot to investigate if i ever make it down! Its 1906 earth quake fill. The digger who told me about it says he dug his whole collection of Cobalt owls there in almost every size...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp