Latest dig in Hannibal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

katmckee

Reaction score
Re: RE: Latest dig in Hannibal

This is exciting stuff, I am looking to buy a Grone Durholt bottle, as I am researching the Grone family history, and have been working on the geneology off and on for 2 years. My great great grandfather was Caspar Grone who started the Grone and Durholt sodawater manufacturing company in Quincy around 1855. Casper went to the Civil war in 1861, and then Durholt had full control of the comany at some point after Casper died (maybe in 1864 or 1870). Does anyone know how/where I can buy a Grone/Durholt bottle in any shape? I am more interested in the family history value than the glass/bottle type. Thank you! Kathleen McKee

hemihampton

Reaction score

I got a couple Grone bottles but no Durholt on them, if Interested let me know? THANKS, LEON.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
I have a friend on another site that recently dug an S O Richardson bitter's. Well Jack, I know you found all those broken flasks and that's got to be a real heartbreaker. Hey, that's just the way it is as you well know. And as usual, those slicks come out whole. It was a good dig because of the one good flask. Man, I know you had to be excited seeing all those pontils coming up. I would have been a nervous wreck. I would have had my 2x2 ft pc of plywood down in that whole to stand in to keep from breaking something. Anywho, it was an exciting dig and great in situ shots. Now, go get another one

Lordbud

Reaction score
I always look forward to your digging posts. I wish someone who digs out here in California would post some digging news. Even on the couple of Western blogs there are maybe one or two pics from recent digs. Usually no mention of location or even state! And this is only every couple-three months. Guess there's just too much money involved with Western bottles these days for a Western digger to post a regular thread showing dig pics and bottle pics.

nhpharm

Reaction score
An old post resurrected! Love the story of the dig for sure...here in Texas it is almost impossible to find that sort of age!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
There ought to be a way to be able to flag a resurrected post in the listing so as to not get folks excited thinking it is a recent one. I've been all too often disappointed reading a post only to discover it's years old! Started reading this one and couldn't remember when I dug it! Had to refer to the date in the original post. Thought I dug a hole recently and forgot about it already! Kinda scared me! (There are mornings after a big dig when I wake up and wonder if I've had a stroke or something!) Anyhoo, brought back great memories (blessings) and inspired me to get out and dig! Jack

sunrunner

Reaction score

I like all the old stuff, but the jar is a great find.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score

beautiful dig! a great age to be digging in.we haven't been out digging in a couple weeks. hopethe weather holds for us this weekend. too bad about theStone jar. that is one nice example!! Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94