Lecendre's. great looking find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

john

Reaction score
This is my favorite bottle that I have found lately.
It says "Lecendre's/ Drug Store/ New Orleans" I think the bottom says "CLS co."
Nobody around town has heard of this company but a 92 year old neighbor seems to remember it being on the corner of Saint Charles and Napolean here in town. Any thoughts on this one? Should I clean the dirt out or leave it in. I am hesitant to clean it b/c on the back where the dirt is not touching the glass it is really pearly and I don't want to destroy the color. Any hints would be appreciated.
-John

lecendres.jpg

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi John, I think you'll discover that the 'pearly' sheen will remain even after you clean out the dirt.[;)] The sheen is likely within the surface of the glass itself. It appears from the pic that you have a bottle with 'sick' glass. The chemical composition has been broken down perhaps from mineral exposure in the ground, or just inferior glass used during manufacturing. There are some collectors who really like the look of 'sick' glass. Of course, I could be all wet, and there's just some kind of oil residue inside the bottle[8D] but I don't think so, my vote is to clean it gently with some soap and water.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
John and Norm,
Be aware that irridesence is NOT always IN the glass! I have had quite a few bottles with the irridesence as a surface 'film' that easily flakes off! You'll know as soon as you handle it,it comes off that easily.As your climate on the delta is more extreme than where I am,John,I'm guessing you might be seeing this film sooner or later,just be aware.Nice bottle!

KAT

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Down here in Florida, some of us call it "St. Augustine sheen" 'cause so many of the bottles found in the marshes at St. Augustine have this condition. It is otherwise called "sick glass" here.

I believe that glass with a high soda content is most vulnerable. Whatever the cause, it tends to persist. You can scrub it out; but, in a few weeks or a few months, the iridescent surface reappears and starts to scale away.

Tumble-polishing will remove the leached surface of the glass. Less expensive, a bit of clear oil (like mineral oil) may retard the process.

--------Harry Pristis

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Harry ....I have removed ( or I should say hidden it ) with Mineral oil , olive oil , and even furniture polish ( pledge). If anyone uses these products to hide stain ........be very careful afterwards handling your bottles. It tends to make them very slick and you might drop them. Brian

vtspring

Reaction score
I once treated a langley root bitters by giveing it a good scrubing and spraying it with a thin coat of polyurithain.This did hide the sickness very well.I do agree that tumbling is the best method.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac