Lets see some slug plates

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I'm new to all this.....what's a slug? Hope that isn't too dumb a question!
Not dumb at all. When a bottle is made it is made in a mold. If you will look at the photos that are being posted, around the embossing there is circular seam in the glass, which is from a removable plate in that half of the mold. This plate could be changed out for different companies. The use of this PLATE (SLUG) MOLD was a money saving device for the bottle company. In a PRIVATE MOLD the entire half of the mold would be dedicated to only one company. Here is a picture of a bottle without a PLATE (SLUG) and is referred to as a private mold.
kc12.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
None of the bottles posted here are true slug plates, including my own, if you really want to get down to it. They're blown in a plate mold as Uncle Bruce mentioned, but when the changeable plate is reverse-cut with lettering, it's no longer a slug plate. Sorta like a washer or an electrical box knock-out being fraudulently used as money and called slugs. Here's a true slug plate mold, just blank. Not trying to change anybody's ways here, because I'll continue to call the embossed ones "slug plates", too. Like "whittle marks". Sounds a lot better than what they really are, "cold mold ripples" as one of our members, the late gentleman, "Red" Matthews pointed out years ago.

20201006_160202.jpg20201006_160244.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Continuing the theme... more slug plate molds.
Today sharing some of my favorite style beer bottles, the squat style weiss beers (biers). Note that the fronts used the slug plate mold, while the back sides did not. In general these bottlers bottled beer brewed by other companies. The exception below is the KAIER who, under this name, brewed beer 1882-1884.
CHAS. BINDER WEISS BIER
Aqua colored
Pony sized
Blob top
binder.jpg
ANDREW HETZEL WEISS BEER
Aqua colored
Pony sized
Blob top
hetzel.jpg

THE CHAS. D. KAIER CO. WEISS BEER
Aqua colored
Pony sized
Blob top
kaier.jpg
A. J. SAKALOSKY WEISS BIER
Aqua colored
Pony sized
Blob top
sakalosky.jpg
P. SCHNEIDER WEISS BEER
Aqua colored
Pony sized
Blob top
schneider.jpg

Last edited:

greendirt330

Reaction score
Three different Seneca Bottling Works variations. I’ve posted two of the bottles separately at different times on this thread before but figured I would do a group photo. The first bottle in the line up is not a slug plate , but an embossed private mold like UncleBruce educated us about .
CB0D9995-C1AE-4ED5-92C1-31E4B0A6F13F.jpeg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu