Lids and corks? Remove or not to remove

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sewingmom

Reaction score
When finding a bottle with a cork or a lid is it better to remove them and clean the bottle or leave them? Also Any tips on cleaning Zinc lids?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hi sewingmom,

I'm sure there will be division of the house on the 1st question. There are at least couple of variables. I generally leave original corks in unless the inside of the bot is so gross as to be unsellable ugly. If you are able to get it out intact there is the possibility of reinsertion but not likely. :rolleyes: The value of the bottle may help you to determine the amount of effort/time you want to put into a particular bot. -Newcomer Spoiler Alert- Seemingly, there is always a line of bottles waiting to be cleaned. :eek: Your experiences will help shape + guide future bottle cleaning decisions. ..Zinc lids are fairly easy. Give them a light cleaning and then, once dry, a very light application of mineral oil for a darker shade. Bear in mind some lids are too far gone and aren't worth the effort. Good luck and welcome to our club. Btw, for the record, before we got our first tv, when in single digits, I learned how to sew. Never again saw a stitch since before the '60s.;)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky