Light scratches and scuffs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are people whom can expertly precision spot polish light scratches and surface scuffs, rubs etc and blend them in well with the rest of the bottles good surface . Don't want to polish whole bottles for a few or even several light abrasions. I'm not gonna screw around with toothpaste or something else and make things worse.

Reactions: Roy

Merle

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are people whom can expertly precision spot polish light scratches and surface scuffs, rubs etc and blend them in well with the rest of the bottles good surface . Don't want to polish whole bottles for a few or even several light abrasions. I'm not gonna screw around with toothpaste or something else and make things worse.
I was talking with jar doctor and he said some guys are using buffing wheels and polish compounds. It sounded very complicated and I’ve only been tumbling bottles for a little over a year so was gonna perfect it all the way before I learn something new

Johnny M

Reaction score
That's a start. Appreciate your input. Seems like it's pretty feasible I really would like some feedback if possible from people who may have had better items touched up in this way. Maybe someone who has restored a scuff or scratch in this way will chime in with their experience. I'm sure most of us have had great bottles with minor but annoying rub marks. Not case wear but like from surface scuffing from grinding against another bottle in a box or something.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Since I work in a Body Shop as a Painter/Bodyman I have to do alot of rubbing on new & old paint. SO, I got access to a big & small rubbing wheel. I rubbed a busted up broken bottle before mainly because I could not Tumble since it was in 5 different pieces. I used rubbing compound & it worked but best to use Cerium Oxide. Cerium Oxide is best for Glass. It's the same stuff they use to rub scratches out of Windshields & the eyeglass Doctor uses to remove small scratches from Eye Glasses. Pic below. LEON.

Newmans2.JPG
P1020248.JPG

Johnny M

Reaction score
Looks like it works. Just may try a dab on a junker to see the result. Maybe a 1 inch scuff or something. I appreciate your pics. Have to get some somewhere someday. Thanks! BTW- That's a super bitters!

hemihampton

Reaction score
A super Rare Bitters. Dug in a 1860's Privy. to bad it was busted/broken. LEON.
NewmansSpotrub.JPG

Johnny M

Reaction score
Yeah. The best always are. I dug 5 broken Amber Willington pickles in a dump near Vernon CT with my friend Bill who showed me the dump. 2 small size and 3 in the11 1/2" size. All pontiled of course. Packed in a layer with Bixby shoe polish and drugstore bottles. Every thing else there is early 1880s through 1890's mostly where we were digging. All in one area about 6 foot square. It's an old town dump from late 1870's to 1940's. Covers huge area so you dig in the sector with oldest stuff. It's a shallow water table and you hit water at about 3 feet. Less in some places. You can go deeper here and there. .Holes fill up and it sucks. You rake the muddy water hole till you snag something in the deep and pull it up. I was digging with my friend when we hit the pickle pocket. Probably all shoved off the same wagon of trash at the dump by a farmer in the 1880's or 90's who cleaned out his root cellar or barn. It wouldn't be so tragic I suppose except I collect the darn things. To make it worse still, one of the small ones had an expanded mouth like a frigging salt jar! I let Billy keep the pieces. True story, I Sh.t you not! :(

RoyalRuby

Reaction score

I use "Mothers Mag Polish" and 0000 steel wool, it works pretty well for me, it also helps in removing rust stains off the bottle/glass as well.

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Yeah. The best always are. I dug 5 broken Amber Willington pickles in a dump near Vernon CT with my friend Bill who showed me the dump. 2 small size and 3 in the11 1/2" size. All pontiled of course. Packed in a layer with Bixby shoe polish and drugstore bottles. Every thing else there is early 1880s through 1890's mostly where we were digging. All in one area about 6 foot square. It's an old town dump from late 1870's to 1940's. Covers huge area so you dig in the sector with oldest stuff. It's a shallow water table and you hit water at about 3 feet. Less in some places. You can go deeper here and there. .Holes fill up and it sucks. You rake the muddy water hole till you snag something in the deep and pull it up. I was digging with my friend when we hit the pickle pocket. Probably all shoved off the same wagon of trash at the dump by a farmer in the 1880's or 90's who cleaned out his root cellar or barn. It wouldn't be so tragic I suppose except I collect the darn things. To make it worse still, one of the small ones had an expanded mouth like a frigging salt jar! I let Billy keep the pieces. True story, I Sh.t you not! :(
Who the F---k are you??? I dug those amber Willington fragments there at the old Rockville dump, not you! I`m Bill, but I NEVER brought anyone else to that dump, but someone else who knew about it did. There was a 4" or so layer towards to top of the dump in one area where I found those amber Willington pieces, I have photos to prove it. I found 2 of the smaller size and 3 of the large size, all in pieces and not enough to make a whole one. There was another bottle whose pieces were also mixed in with these, can YOU tell me what they were?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown