Lilly mini 3" tall slender cod liver oil fish bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Had heard years ago about the fourth size mini of the fish shaped Eli Lilly cod liver oil bottle, but only recently saw and got one. Understand that they originally came in a box of 3. Where are there others!!! Great find, even if it took me 50 years!!

Attachments

• mfish.jpg
    mfish.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 167
  • mfish1.jpg
    mfish1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 157
  • mfish2.jpg
    mfish2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 161
  • mfish3.jpg
    mfish3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 125

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, at first glance I thought that was a Wheaton fantasy bottle. I had no idea that the Wheaton fantasy bottles were based on real bottles that were actually that size.

They definitely look like NOS to me. I never knew Eli Lilly had figural bottles, I mainly know of the as the company that often shows up on the labels of poison bottles.

Why on earth would they make sample size cod liver oil bottles in the first place? I thought it was all the same stuff, generally speaking, and all tasted terrible. It seems like so much work for trying to get people to try your cod liver oil over other cod liver oils.

sunrunner

Reaction score
I dug half a do.z of the large size many years ago . did not know about these . and never dug even a shard of one.

Reaction score
There were three sizes larger than the little 3" one I posted. Next larger one is in the 6" range, largest about the same size with the middle size in between these. Have had numerous of all three regular sizes, but the 3" one is super scarce. Had never seen one in the 50 years of collecting old bottles till I ran across this one.
RLRT

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Somehow I believe these were never filled nor intended to be. Just a gut feeling really but that's my impression.
Jim

Ah, I think you may be right. I didn't think of the possibility that they could be meant as a sample of the bottle itself rather than the product, but the label "Cod Liver Oil Fish Bottle" does suggest that the bottle was the important thing. I'd really like to know the story behind these, like who was the sample intended for, and why was it worth the money of having the mold especially made?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp