Lines on a bottle, flaw or not?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Chelvis

Reaction score
I wonder what caused this. These lines that swirl on the bottle are too uniform to be incidental scratches. Probably made during manufacturing. They are raised and you can feel them with your fingernail. Does anyone know what they are, and what caused them? I looked around on several condition and glossary lists, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 201

Chelvis

Reaction score
Two possibilities:
#Stresses induced into the metal as it is is introduced into the mold.
#Lack of homogeneity in the melt.

I prefer the first explanation.

Thank you. I haven't seen this before. Is it a common thing? Is there a name for it other than swirly lines caused during manufacturing?:)

Chelvis

Reaction score
Ok, I have found out what they are. They are called Straw Marks, or Lines. Either brought on in the production process. This most likely was a function of the way the glass was made (the batch components) or the way the batch was mixed. That, or in a chemical process that happened while the bottle was buried. That's my whittled down version. Here's a link to the sha.org explanation - https://sha.org/bottle/body.htm#Straw marks

Reactions: Roy

Chelvis

Reaction score
Leon,
I was thinking the same thing, but were the lines there before it was buried? Could be. The article says that it happens with bottles that are never buried, too. And looks the same. I would say that my bottle was in the ground, for sure. Thing is, I guess it doesn't make a difference unless the marks are considered a flaw.
Bill

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've really only seen these marks on Buried Bottles & I've dug hundreds & hundreds of Buried Bottles in Privy's. It's actually kinda common to find these marks on buried Bottles in my opinion. But if it could of been there before buried? That's possibly but I think unlikely from my experience. LEON.

Chelvis

Reaction score
With these bottles that you've found. Do you consider the marks a flaw?

GAjosh

Reaction score
I wonder what caused this. These lines that swirl on the bottle are too uniform to be incidental scratches. Probably made during manufacturing. They are raised and you can feel them with your fingernail. Does anyone know what they are, and what caused them? I looked around on several condition and glossary lists, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks
Ive always known this to be called "etching". From what i understand it has to do with being buried like stated above. Ive seen it mostly on 18th and 19th century bottles.
155df5de6931627422ea8779d651d805.jpg
01953c89c7223ea0ae6ac2c1de0c5227.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora