liquor bottle charms

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pmcurry

Reaction score
My wife's grandfather ran a bar in WI in the 20's and 30's. He brought home little "charms" from around the bottle necks for my wife's mother to play with. We have now inherited a collection of about a hundred of these. We want to put them on display in a shadow box and are curious as to what they are actually called, where we could find info on them, and if they are worth anything to collectors. They represent all sorts of animals, storybook characters, holiday symbols, etc. and are roughly the size of your thumbnail.

We've 'googled' everything we can think of and nothing ever comes up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Phil

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Sounds more like tobacco tags...do they have 3 or 4 little bent points upon them and are made outta tin in different shapes...some with names upon them? Many bars sold cigars and chewing tobacco...thus he would have had access to the tags that came with the tobacco products....just a thought.[&:]

pmcurry

Reaction score
Not very steady with the camera on close up. Hope this is clear enough. If not, I'll have my wife try. The 'charms' appear to be plastic. No markings of any kind, no brand references or such. We've never seen the chains that suppoedly held them around the bottle neck so can't say what they were made of.

Sorry for the lack of info and thanks for the effort so far.
-Phil

Wu60575.jpg

pmcurry

Reaction score
Here's a hopefully clearer of the collection and a close up of some more 'adult' less 'kids' examples.

Thanks for the efforts.
-Phil

oops: other photo in next message

Lj22391.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22391.jpg
    Lj22391.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72

pmcurry

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the whole thing.

Db84296.jpg

Attachments

• Db84296.jpg
    Db84296.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58

whiskeyman

Reaction score
The ones with the loop on top are 1c gumball machine prizes....I don't know when those originated though.

In the 1st pic...the red mule looks like the Browns Mule tobacco tag carciature...

The sailor boy looks like Cracker Jack....could some be early Cracker Jack prizes?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide