Little brown long-necked cube bottle...?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

katemail13

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I found this bottle wrapped in newspaper (modern) inside a Ball jar I got in a set at a yard sale. The characters on the bottom seem to be a '6', a '41', and between them, what looks like the planet Saturn (or maybe Yoda?). Can anyone help me with who made it, when it was made, and where?

Thanks for any help!

Katie

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 74

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
I think that's an Owens-Illinoise makers mark. It does resemble Yoda. Lol.
The 6 is the bottling location and the 41 is the date it was manufactured. Though I've been wrong in the past. Cool little bottle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-201600_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-201600_Google.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: Csa

willong

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I found this bottle wrapped in newspaper (modern) inside a Ball jar I got in a set at a yard sale. The characters on the bottom seem to be a '6', a '41', and between them, what looks like the planet Saturn (or maybe Yoda?). Can anyone help me with who made it, when it was made, and where?

Thanks for any help!

Katie
Your machine-made slick looks like a Mount Vernon Rye Whiskey sample bottle intended, obviously, for paper labeling. I have a BIM (blown-in-mold), tooled lip version of the bottle. There's always a chance that the form might have been used for other products, but my bottle has a patent declaration: "PAT'D MARCH 25TH 1892" embossed on its base, which leads me to think that the company sought to keep the form of the bottle protected as a distinctive trademark.

An eBay search of the term "vintage mount vernon pure rye whiskey amber" will provide you quite a bit of insight into what your bottle looked like with the label intact, as there is such a version for sale there right now. You will also be able to see examples of BIM and other variants, including the full-sized products and various period advertisements on offer.

Here's direct link to a paper-labeled sample similar to yours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184699608989?hash=item2b00f45f9d:g:9CAAAOSwbdxgRX~O

katemail13

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, willong and Hogtown Hunter! It is a very cool little bottle, indeed!

Katie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu