Look what Irene exposed for me

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say hello and introduce myself as this is my first post. My name is Dennis, I'm not actually a collector but have had a respect and desire for antiques and oddities instilled into me at a young age from my step father. I've never actually collected anything because of a lack of place to store things, I refuse to pay retail for anything and I want to own just about everything in almost all antique shops, making purchasing anything difficult.

Helping my girl friends sister move her things out of her flooded house, I saw a BUNCH of glass shards in teh dirt and began looking, and POOF there was a milk bottle, then more and more and more. I grabbed what I could and can't wait to go digging there.

p00062v.jpg

From left to right

I'm not sure what it was used for but a jar, made from a mold what looks like a place for a label and V shaped embossing under it with, "DES. PAT 103101" A weird symbol that kind of looks like a circle with to V's on the side, with a 2 on one side and a 7 on the other as well as the number 12 On the bottom, there is also a 12 on the front. If my research is right, the patent number was assigned between 1870 and 1871, but I find it hard to believe. It's in good shape, has some minor deformities and 2 "Seed" bubbles.

ATLAS E-Z SEAL jar, the top seems to be warped on one side and has a small chip, but over all good shape.

Milk quart

The top ring says "Milk for health in a bottle for safety, the creamery it came from, "Brenner's Poughkeepsie NY" That weird symbol again, with a 17 on side and a 5 on the other and on the edge of the bottom "BB48"

The one that intrigues me the most for some reason is a large jar, with a checkered pattern embossing all the way around the jar with a large window for a label. Weird symbol again, with a 2 on the left side, 3 on the right and and 8 under it, a small "Seed" bubble and what appear to be 2 machine marks on each side of the mouth, one on one side of where the mold met and one on the other side about an inch apart.

WHEW!!

Now that I typed all that, thanks to anyone that can give me any information about my newly acquired see through gold. Even if they're worth a penny each, they're still gold to me.

I can see my new born collection growing fast and my girlfriend growing tired of them even faster!

towhead

Reaction score
Luv the milk bottle! Get digging! -Julie

The checkered jar is called a packer jar-among other names, and is pretty common.

VTdigger

Reaction score
Love the milk. Irene washed up quite a bit of good stuff I've made some great finds, and I'm not even done checking all of the spots yet.

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
The milk jug seems to be the only one of value and only about $20, but I'm not keeping or selling them for their value. I checked the creek banks in my back yard yesterday and found nothing other than a few locally made bricks. My area is very historic and there A LOT of brick yards that popped up along the banks of the Hudson river. Totally unrelated to bottles, but I like old bricks too.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Exactly _ vague; I read your post and welcome you to the FORUM. I went to my files and picked up this post that I sent to another newbee. I copied it and paste it here for your reading. I have some others to look for, but thought I would run this by you first.
RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
Advise to a btl newbe.doc

[align=RIGHT] [align=RIGHT][/align] [align=RIGHT][/align] [align=RIGHT][/align] [align=RIGHT][/align] [align=RIGHT][/align] [/align]

RED Matthews
Super Member Posts: 1235
Status: online Hello Kurt; I use a free picture handling software called 'Irfanview' it works great for everything and is fairly easy to use for resizing.

Regarding your bottles, the most important things to learn about are pontil marks (the blow pipe - tube pontil marks), which have left an open tube of glass from the blowing of the previous blown bottle that was left on the previous blow pipe. From there the marks left by the use of an iron punty or puntee rod, which was coated with sticky dirt, red lead, graphite paste. and/or white lead paste, and then powdered glass, iron powder from mold shop machining, or sand that would stick to the glass product to let that punty rod be the handle for finishing the top of the bottle with applied glass.

Looking at the bottoms of you bottles you should learn to recognize those marks.

The next thing is to look at the top of the bottle. If the mold seam comes up over the finish on the bottle - it is good for recycling unless it has some unique characteristics.
If there are horizontal tool marks from the shaping of the finish they are keepers, if there is extra sloppy glass below the finish that was pushed down and left there - they are keepers.

The quality of embossing that was hand cut in the molds that you can realize are crude and unique should be saved, embossing that is in a slug plate oval or round ring enclosure should be evaluated. Lettering that has little dots from a venting drilled hold should be evaluated.

There are certain types of bottles that should be set aside - and I can't take the time to list them here.

Good luck checking them out. If you want to question me more - send me an email.
RED Matthews
-----------------------------

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
Well I went back to the spot I accidentally found after Irene and found a few of these and those....................

p00063.jpg
[/IMG]

Cobalt Squibb bottle

Clicquot club bottle, that has to to be at minimum 47 years old, Canada Dry put them out of business in 1965

Random bottle with white stuff in it marked K&W 5554 on the bottom

Bromo Seltzer

Half pint milk bottle embossed Farmers co. - op. Milk Co. INC. Poughkeepsie N.Y. On the bottom letters taking up the whole bottom FMC

A Pond's cream jar.

There are more but haven't gotten to uncaking the dirt from them yet.

nydigger

Reaction score
I have one of those Clicquot club bottles in the green variation..looks great on the window sill and ya gotta love the Eskimo logo on the base. Like I said in the Message I left we should get together for a dig before it gets too cold

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have an Eskimo on it :( Just a big letter A. I wonder if that would make it easier to date? Until finding the bottle, I had never heard of them, but after a minor amount of pointing and clicking, I found they were actually very important to the ere as far as advertising technique and were the first company to ever sell a soft drink in a can. Quick but interesting read http://www.clicquotclubcafe.com/History.htm

I would love to get together sometime, but I'm......uh.......... vehicularly challenged at the moment. Making things difficult for me. We'll have to work something out in the future, I'm not afraid of a little cold weather, that's what whiskey is for ;)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18