Looking for a value.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roy

Reaction score
I'm looking for ballpark value on a
JOHN T. & WILLIAM H. DALY
NEW YORK bottle.
The only sale I can find for this bottle was on ebay for $10.50.
I would expect to pay quite a bit more for one of these in decent condition. I have included a website address from The Western Bottle News article describing it. This article suggests this bottle is common but it sure doesn't seem like it.
I'm asking for a friend who has one so I didn't include any pictures.
Any information, comments, or a value for this or a similar bottle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roy

OK, I think everyone is way off ...

We are talking about ANTIQUE BOTTLES.

I believe in most cases rarity definitely affects the value. I don't believe everything I read. I don't believe this bottle is very common. I do believe in doing my own research and in doing some research I came across this.
I would be interested in everyone's thoughts after looking at this screen shot from a 2011 auction.

Roy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301_113552_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230301_113552_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 71

hemihampton

Reaction score
the $425 probably sounds more realistic, But I don't think if it got $425 it would be super rare or super common. Maybe call it tough but not rare or common?????????? LEON.

Reactions: Roy

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
OK, I think everyone is way off ...

We are talking about ANTIQUE BOTTLES.

I believe in most cases rarity definitely affects the value. I don't believe everything I read. I don't believe this bottle is very common. I do believe in doing my own research and in doing some research I came across this.
I would be interested in everyone's thoughts after looking at this screen shot from a 2011 auction.

Roy
Even with antique bottles it can depend. Almost any individual paper label druggist bottle, for example, is massively rare. You'll have a pretty hard time ever finding another one exactly like it. But you can still regularly buy them for under $20 because there are just so many different ones out there. When it comes to embossed, pontilled American bottles though, then yeah rarity will pretty strongly affect the price because there are so many people looking for bottles in that category and there aren't too many in the category to begin with. I don't believe any embossed American pontil whiskey is particularly common, so while this one may be relatively "common", it's still quite a desirable and difficult-to-find bottle from the looks of it. Interesting to see that even a smooth-base variant went that high in 2011. Do you know if the one your friend has is pontilled? Auction results can be hard to predict since it depends so much on who happens to be bidding, but that's a pretty good sign for your friend's being a fairly valuable bottle.

Roy

Reaction score
Even with antique bottles it can depend. Almost any individual paper label druggist bottle, for example, is massively rare. You'll have a pretty hard time ever finding another one exactly like it. But you can still regularly buy them for under $20 because there are just so many different ones out there. When it comes to embossed, pontilled American bottles though, then yeah rarity will pretty strongly affect the price because there are so many people looking for bottles in that category and there aren't too many in the category to begin with. I don't believe any embossed American pontil whiskey is particularly common, so while this one may be relatively "common", it's still quite a desirable and difficult-to-find bottle from the looks of it. Interesting to see that even a smooth-base variant went that high in 2011. Do you know if the one your friend has is pontilled? Auction results can be hard to predict since it depends so much on who happens to be bidding, but that's a pretty good sign for your friend's being a fairly valuable bottle.
This bottle is not pontiled.
The bottom is slightly indented with a bump in the center, presumably for an air vent if I am correct, during the manufacturing process.
I agree this may not be a rare bottle but I'm not finding many sales records or any for sale so in my opinion, I really can't consider it common either.
As for the value, that auction price is the only one I have seen so far. Maybe someone has seen other sales. I would be interested to hear about them.
Roy

Roy

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to get a picture of the bottom of the DALY bottle but here are a couple of them.
Roy

Attachments

• Resized_20230228_171015(1).jpeg
    Resized_20230228_171015(1).jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Resized_20230228_170643.jpeg
    Resized_20230228_170643.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 74

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to get a picture of the bottom of the DALY bottle but here are a couple of them.
Roy
I'm not certain but that looks like it could be pontilled based on the photos. I think I can see the outline of a thin circle of rough glass which is what a sticky ball pontil looks like. They're not as distinct as open or iron pontils.

Reactions: Roy

sandchip

Reaction score
A common misconception in antiquities is rarity translates to a higher value. Just because something is rare or even one of a kind, doesn't make it valuable.
AMEN! Rarity and age, as well. Something that should be drilled into every school kid from early on, LOL!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
AMEN! Rarity and age, as well. Something that should be drilled into every school kid from early on, LOL!
Desirability is what matters.
Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay..

Roy

Reaction score
I'm looking for ballpark value on a
JOHN T. & WILLIAM H. DALY
NEW YORK bottle.
The only sale I can find for this bottle was on ebay for $10.50.
I would expect to pay quite a bit more for one of these in decent condition. I have included a website address from The Western Bottle News article describing it. This article suggests this bottle is common but it sure doesn't seem like it.
I'm asking for a friend who has one so I didn't include any pictures.
Any information, comments, or a value for this or a similar bottle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roy

OK, I'm going to go at finding a value on this bottle for my friend from a different angle.

I believe at least a few of the members on this forum are planning on going to the Baltimore bottle show this coming Sunday. I have never been to this bottle show but I've heard it is one of the biggest.

I would ask any members attending this show to please keep an eye out for any of these DALY bottles and please take note of the price if they see any, and let us know.

If it is a common bottle, I would expect there to be at least one or two there.

If it's rare , maybe none.

Enjoy the show and thank you in advance.
Roy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis