Looking for any info on this Magnetic Aether op bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

martyfoley

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some information about this open pontil medicine. Info concerning, rarity, value etc. It is embossed, "Magnetic Aether by Halsted & Co." I can't find any information about it. Thank you for looking and replying. Marty.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3941.JPG
    IMG_3941.JPG
    991.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3942.JPG
    IMG_3942.JPG
    792.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3943.JPG
    IMG_3943.JPG
    916.8 KB · Views: 264

slugplate

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some information about this open pontil medicine. Info concerning, rarity, value etc. It is embossed, "Magnetic Aether by Halsted & Co." I can't find any information about it. Thank you for looking and replying. Marty.
Here's some info on magnetic aether manufactured by Halsted. As you can see, it was used a quack cure for many ailments. Value I'm not sure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.32.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.32.04 AM.png
    334 KB · Views: 221

slugplate

Reaction score
BTW, Michael Polak has it listed in his book as "rare" and is valued at $700-$800

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that is a beauty! I really don't know much about bottles of that era but it's certainly a great find. There was a labeled version pictured in this thread back in 2018 https://www.antique-bottles.net/thr...l-and-or-contents-for-the-pontil-gems.689480/

I wouldn't trust Michael Polak's word on pricing anything since he seemed to often pull wildly inaccurate numbers out of thin air, but I would certainly expect value to be in the range of several hundred if not more.

sandchip

Reaction score
Beautiful bottle! What's the story on how you came across it? Thanks for sharing it with us,

martyfoley

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies. I spotted it in a box lot of miscellaneous items at an auction in Amherst Massachusetts back in 2002 or 3 or so. I dug bottles back in the early seventies in Hatfield Mass. so I was fairly informed about bottles even back then and learned even more as time progressed. I saw the bottle in this box lot at the auction preview and tucked it carefully towards the bottom of the box (other items weren't that heavy) and nervously waited for the box lot to come up for bid. I can't recall what else was in the box lot but they were old, average type items. When the box came up for bid I was really anxious to get that bottle! I knew it was a real good one and the condition was perfect! I had to bid against some other folks but I kept on bidding. Finally bidding dried up at about $45 and I bid $50 for the lot and won the lot, no other bids from others. I sold the other items on eBay, got most if not all of my money back and kept the bottle till this day! So I guess the moral of the story is, if you're ever at an auction check those box lots carefully, something awesome could be hiding in there! True Story!!!
Thanks, Slugplate, sandchip, and CanadianBottles for your replies. I'm glad to share this true story with you folks!

p.s. I do have other bottles in my collection but this one is my favorite!:)
Also, I remember emailing Digger O'Dell about the bottle probably 10 years ago. If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure he quoted $650.00 without even seeing the bottle, I'll have to see if I can find his email, I may still have it.

Last edited:

slugplate

Reaction score
Bottles like that you hold on to. It will only increase in value as time moves on. The mere shape and condition of the bottle will pay nice dividends in the future.

martyfoley

Reaction score
Yes, slugplate, I agree. Problem is I'm 70 now (yikes) and will have to eventually sell it to someone who will really appreciate it. Don't really want to part with it yet though unless I really have to.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Matt has it listed in his Medicine bottle nexus, so it's a known bottle. He has a pic with label. Hoping I can successfully paste same.

1578921848128.png

martyfoley

Reaction score
Thank you Saratogadriver. Great picture of the labelled bottle. It's nice to see what the label looked like at the time. The magnetics had their heyday, came and went. A great part of bottle history. Thanks again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18