Looking for old Dr Pepper bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
s-l400.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Tom Neff

Reaction score
I am one of the few who have been able to find a KC Thief (2 whole, 1 half bottle). The two whole ones are ice blue and aqua green. I traded the aqua green one to a friend who had a couple of amber Kansas City amber Coca Cola straight sides (circa 1902-1909) and I kept the ice blue one. I sold the 1/2 Thief to Ray D. in Texas, who intended (as he told me...) to play a trick on a friend.

Anyway, I have never hear of an Amarillo Thief bottle, let alone a Monterey (Mexico?) variant. When you say "script"what do you mean? When you say "1906" what do you mean? My understanding was that the KC Theif I have, was produced in 1905-06 so, that reference has significance to me.

Thanks!

Tom

hemihampton

Reaction score
The post is over 5 years old so not sure you'll get a response from the Original Poster?

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I am one of the few who have been able to find a KC Thief (2 whole, 1 half bottle). The two whole ones are ice blue and aqua green. I traded the aqua green one to a friend who had a couple of amber Kansas City amber Coca Cola straight sides (circa 1902-1909) and I kept the ice blue one. I sold the 1/2 Thief to Ray D. in Texas, who intended (as he told me...) to play a trick on a friend.

Anyway, I have never hear of an Amarillo Thief bottle, let alone a Monterey (Mexico?) variant. When you say "script"what do you mean? When you say "1906" what do you mean? My understanding was that the KC Theif I have, was produced in 1905-06 so, that reference has significance to me.

Thanks!

Tom

There are only a few examples of the Amarillo variant known. I've seen the KC Thief bottle in person just once but never an Amarillo example. The Monterey variant is embossed with "Monterey" on the front underneath the main embossing. According to the Dr. Pepper Collectible Bottles book, Monterey might denote the flavor of the soda that the bottle originally contained. This bottle isn't necessarily easy to find but one does pop up on eBay a few times a year or so.
Monterey Thief Dr. Pepper.jpg

The script bottle has Dr. Pepper embossed in script just after the "We Pay for Evidence..." embossing and just above St. Louis. This means that it wasn't just embossed in block letters, it was stylized like the later King of Beverages bottles. This was the first bottle to have Dr. Pepper embossed in script like this. Like the Monterey bottle, these do pop up on eBay every now and then, so they're not too terribly difficult to find.
Script Dr. Pepper Thief.jpg

The 1906 bottle is also quite rare. It's pretty similar to the more common St. Louis Thief bottles, but it has the year 1906 embossed underneath an A on the base of the bottle. It's also from St. Louis, and it was used for a short amount of time before the script Thief bottle took its place.

I hope this helped! By the way, congratulations on those KC Thief bottles. They're extremely hard to find!

Last edited:

DFW Digger

Reaction score
From Doyle's book. Monterey lemonade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200330-070028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200330-070028_Chrome.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 194

Lunick

Reaction score
i have an embossed Dr Pepper Good for Life Bottle from Lincoln Neb. Unfortunately has a couple chips in the top.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18