Looking to Dig along local Creek

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roney

Dumpfinder
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I am really new to digging and have started all beginners research but I have found that it is more rewarding to just go with the moment, the location, and I have found some really amazing finds. I need help though as to digging near creeks. I live near a Creek and have walked along the side in marsh, wet, tree lined areas and without digging have found old Clorox Jugs, few amber bottles, but my question is what is the best way of digging in areas such as the one I mentioned. We have had so many Hurricanes along the Eastern Seaboard and Eastern NC, I wonder if it would be worth the time. Thanks!
If there are steep banks check them out. People used to dump down hills. Also try probing sandy or clay areas in the bed.

Bottleluver

Reaction score
What I did when I was trying to find a dig site around me was look for some broken glass at first and eventually that led me to an old dump full of bottles if I find broken glass I always look around because that means there could be bottles around

willong

Reaction score
Like Tigrdog said, I've found trash piles by spotting a bottle sticking out of the bank, and although it was a nice little spot, it wasn't the only source of bottles. If you find them in the creek, take note of where you tend to stop finding items as you move upstream. Look closely at the banks in these areas, maybe even do some probing along these stretches and you might find the major source of where those bottles found in the creek are coming from.
Just like placer miners trying to suss out location of float gold that washes down into a stream. Next step: find the lode!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I am really new to digging and have started all beginners research but I have found that it is more rewarding to just go with the moment, the location, and I have found some really amazing finds. I need help though as to digging near creeks. I live near a Creek and have walked along the side in marsh, wet, tree lined areas and without digging have found old Clorox Jugs, few amber bottles, but my question is what is the best way of digging in areas such as the one I mentioned. We have had so many Hurricanes along the Eastern Seaboard and Eastern NC, I wonder if it would be worth the time. Thanks!
This is your friend.

Also look at the oldest plat maps for your location.
Find out it it was a local dumping ground, someone(s) dumping refuse behind the house or everything has just been steadily making its way down stream over the years.

I also like the creeks.

If everything was dumped, and there is some sort of hill, wherever you find stuff, start digging and making your way up.

Hope that helps!

Also-
As sweet and rewarding as the random finds are, they pale in comparison to the reward of hiking and eventually finding a certain researched location (especially the more hours involved).
Might get some radom finds along the way too?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp