Lucky Lake - a shocking dive story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I bet we could really rake them in if we combined our efforts.. thanks again for the story and the river memories.. !! niteynite ..[;)]

rockbot

Reaction score
What a cool adventure Bob. Glad things worked out and now you got a safe place to launch.
Be safe.

Aloha, Rocky

RedGinger

Reaction score
Great story, Bob. It was well written and was a lot of fun to read, although I was getting worried during the storm part! I don't think I'd be brave enough to dive alone, or dig alone for that matter. We have a lot of remote areas around here, so it's not really a safe activity for me. The buddy system applies to more than diving. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. It shows that it's not just the bottles that make the dig or dive, as the case may be, exciting. I look forward to more stories from you and other members.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Laur,
I was properly trained and therefore, I was a big proponant of the buddy system 14 years ago. But as time went by, even when I dive with someone, we usually go our own directions anyway. I love to dive with buddies, it always more fun to share, but it is also really convenient to pack up and leave when you get the chance to go. Diving with a group requires a bit more planning. Plus, I am very comfortable with my skills and I generally try to be careful. My first logged tank this year will be my 900th logged dive. I can't wait!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Great story and Lucky indeed. I have had similar experiences especially in hilly mountainous regions where you know there is a possibility of a passing shower only to surface and say holy *#@*. The storms just seem to come out of nowhere because they are hidden at the time your starting your dive. The same thoughts have crossed my mind about the fish and then self preservation kicks in telling you your not a fish. I use only steel tanks now because their negatively buoyant so I have often thought about ditching the tank entirely. I wonder if the Zebra mussles are cleaning the water to the point that the water looks tropical.
Do you still have the bottle as a souvenier? Kevin

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Kevin,

Nice to hear some imput from a diver. Yes, I still have the hutch but it isn't a rare one (and I've found two or three dozen similar examples over the years). I would hate to ditch a steel tank because they're expensive but I suppose you could come back for it.

As I recall from classes, the dive tables are wrong at altitude. Do you have to make any adjustments up there? Are you finding artifacts in those northen climbs or is it just fun diving in the pristine clear water?

As far as the water color goes, here's my current thought. I think it is the bottom that makes it look so stunningly blue. The bottom is a very light colored silt. I think sunlight gets reflected back through the water from the bottom and makes that blue aqua color. The region that the lake is located in has several nearby lakes and none of them are like this. Those other lakes have a more typical black mud bottom. That's my guess. I could be wrong.

808 50th State

Reaction score
Bob,
Great story...I am glad I finally took the time to read it...A good reminder for me...I know sometimes I use to take risks in finding the elusive bottle...Not until a tragic accident in the early 2000's here in Hawaii I realize how lucky I was that I could have easily be that statistic...Sometimes you get so focused in what you are doing and not taking a real noticed of your surrounding...I still catch myself looking up and seeing a big over-hang...I immediately pull out chasing that darn bottle...Glad that your story ended in a high note...Aloha Earl

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
That is the best "non photo" post ever. Really well done, thanks for taking the time to discribe you're adventure. I have a few diving adventures that didn't involve lightning, but seemed death defying. The more involved being stuck in mud, huffing and puffing through weeds, getting a bit of a panic feeling like " no one knows where I am right now, if I pass out from exhaustion or something, they'll never find my body!" I'm tending to dive in really shallow, easy to navigate rivers now, if I dive alone. Some of my dive partners can really plow right down into the deep dark with lots of confidence. I'm not there yet. I had some lucky strikes last year ( my first year in the water). I'll take my time from here on out. I dont want to die in a rubber suit, it isn't my best look :)
thanks again for your cool story. There is a small sub culture of people here who can really understand it well
bram

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks 808 and Bram. You guys are correct. No bottle is worth serious injury or death. I am very comfortable in low or no visibilty (although it can be creepy if you then bump something or a fish swims into you). The main thing is to be as careful as you can and never ever panic. It really is a blast but I think that you should know your limits and stick to them.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky