MAISON DORIN - Paris...dug item

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I' m aware that this isn' t a bottle, but I found this downtown years ago digging for old glass and haven' t investigated it much. Someone that was recently on my websites saw this pictured and wanted to know what this was. He said that he dug one last week and (myself included) would like some info on it. What was it used for, the product, age, etc. I always thought that they were potlids or similiar. They are 2 3/16" in dia. X 1/4" in height (pretty small). The plain one is made of a white material (ironstone maybe), the other seems to be a tan/grey stoneware. They both have rounded, beveled edges. A clear glaze covers the top, while the underside is unglazed. The stoneware one has a semi-smeared transfer in black with words including: MAISON DORIN - 27 B (or a R) GRENIER ST. LAZARE PARIS -FARD DE TOI [L] ETTE - MARQUE DE FABRIQUE - Depose (at top center). The very center has the DORIN letter logo.
I' d love to hear some comments, questions and of course answers. I will post a close up in a following post.

Thanks to all, ' Meech'

Always check my sites - sign and view my guestbook at:
http://members.aol.com/meechuta/bottles.html

Zx72347.jpg

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
DORIN - Paris...dug item while bottle scooping

Here' s a closer look for more detail. Once again, Thanks.....' Meech'

Ki19620.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19620.jpg
    Ki19620.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 169

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Roger and everyone,
Thanks for the clue and ideas on this object. I forgot to add that this was dug from a very large city dump site dating between 1860 - 1890. Turn of the century items were few and found closer to the surface. These were found 15-20 feet below the street level and the deeper we dug (w/ machines of course), as with most digs, the older the items were. Circa 1920 could be correct, but everything else excavated from there was many years earlier (from that level). This is the site that I mention on my Finds page where thousands of bottles littered a city block. Anyway, I' m hoping that some additional info will surface. Once again, Thanks - ' Meech'

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Flipping your lid

Hey Tom,
Welcome to the group and forum...glad you found it. My lids are smooth on the back and so was the other that I saw at the meeting.

' Meech'

PS. There' s a link to an overhead picture of the Baltimore Bottle Show and Sell, which happened last Sunday, to all who may be interested on my main bottle site:

http://members.aol.com/meechuta/bottles.html

Diggin' days are few, but things are to pick up soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky