Manufacturing flaws

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
Thank you for the photos of the altered insulators.
I have to honest about not being able to tell the difference from a fake one and a real one.
Can usually catch an altered bottle.
Is a dark amber a normal color for a CD 121? I have been eyeing one that is for sale, a buy it now. However, its in great condition, but no one has purchased it in awhile, so I am wondering is it a fake? No, I haven't asked the seller if it is altered. Like someone on the forum said that sellers usually will post if its been altered.
opmustard

nydigger

Reaction score
Not all sellers will state that the insulator they are selling has been altered or not. There are only 2 sellers that I have come across on etsy and eBay that state that they stain their insulators, hell it may even be the same person. What platform is the one you are looking at being sold on? I'd like to take a look at it and look it it up in my price guide. Thats one thing you really should invest in if you are going to start collecting, a price guide.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

opmustard

Reaction score
Not all sellers will state that the insulator they are selling has been altered or not. There are only 2 sellers that I have come across on etsy and eBay that state that they stain their insulators, hell it may even be the same person. What platform is the one you are looking at being sold on? I'd like to take a look at it and look it it up in my price guide. Thats one thing you really should invest in if you are going to start collecting, a price guide.

Once again, thank you for post.
Its on Ebay under insulators, a BUY IT NOW, asking $25.00 or best offer. Its a dark amber. I was looking on ebay at the insulators to get some sort of idea on cd 121's.
I have been told that price guides become obsolete fairly quickly?
opmustard

nhpharm

Reaction score
The "root beer amber" CD 121 McLaughlin on eBay has not been messed with that I can tell. I would, however, question the color description a bit...looks like olive amber to me but hard to say without handling it. True amber is worth a bit more. Nonetheless, my older price guide lists it at $10-$15, and I doubt that value has gone up much on a lower end insulator like this. So at $25 plus shipping (showing up at a whopping $14.40 to me in Texas) it is probably not a great buy. You could make an offer though...

opmustard

Reaction score
The "root beer amber" CD 121 McLaughlin on eBay has not been messed with that I can tell. I would, however, question the color description a bit...looks like olive amber to me but hard to say without handling it. True amber is worth a bit more. Nonetheless, my older price guide lists it at $10-$15, and I doubt that value has gone up much on a lower end insulator like this. So at $25 plus shipping (showing up at a whopping $14.40 to me in Texas) it is probably not a great buy. You could make an offer though...
[/QUOTE
Thank you again for your help. I do question the color because from what could tell, a dark amber isn't an extremmely rare color, however, its not seen too often (I think.)
I did offer the seller $15.00 awhile ago and their response was a counter of $24.00. After that I began to question the color after gaining more insulator information from fellow forum members (like you.)
opmustard
p.s. seller does offer 30 day returns, I would have to pay for the return shipping.

Last edited:

nydigger

Reaction score
Once again, thank you for post.
Its on Ebay under insulators, a BUY IT NOW, asking $25.00 or best offer. Its a dark amber. I was looking on ebay at the insulators to get some sort of idea on cd 121's.
I have been told that price guides become obsolete fairly quickly?
opmustard
The insulator price guide doesn't change that much to be obsolete. Few additions or CD changes thats about it. Not so much with the pricing. They come out every 5 years I believe and they are $50. Getting into the hobby it will be the best $50 you will spend.

Fenndango

Reaction score
Depends on the factory flaw and the collectors eye. I generally don't like amber streaks or junk unless it catches my eye. I like cold molds. Day 1 open bubbles don't bother me but are always listed with sales usually as a bad thing. I have a real PQ 104 with the ugliest day 1 annealing crack from base to dome. PQs are known for annealing lines and I like them, I like the crudeness. But not this one it looks awful to me.

nydigger

Reaction score
Depends on the factory flaw and the collectors eye. I generally don't like amber streaks or junk unless it catches my eye. I like cold molds. Day 1 open bubbles don't bother me but are always listed with sales usually as a bad thing. I have a real PQ 104 with the ugliest day 1 annealing crack from base to dome. PQs are known for annealing lines and I like them, I like the crudeness. But not this one it looks awful to me.
Is PQ porcelain?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky