Marylands third Glassworks The New Bremen Glassmanufactory .

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Pretty close match Mike. I too feel the glass is American but made in the German tradition 1775 to 1795.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Matt,Guntherhess In 1960 the archaelogical dig was centered 75 feet from the bank of Bennets creek.The areial drawing I show is very accurate to where the factory is located.The only deviation I see is the potential wandering of Bennets creek.The 90 degree left hand turn in the creek on the lower right of the picture was a much softer 45 on different maps I have of the factory.That may shift the area slightly by some 2 to 300 feet to the left I where I have the center shown.If you can see the mansion up hill from the creek bank turn around look across the creek and you should be stairing at the center of Sugarloaf mountain.This is how it was described by the Smithsonian and Corning staff that worked the site in 1962.The glass house that burned down was only in operation for 5 years.It was discovered to have the amazing amount of 10 furnaces in operation.This was unheard of even in the big city centers of Europe at the time.The building was massive as for comparison to other glass works.110 x 65 were the dimensions of the works.If you can get there and it is permissible take a metal detector if you have one, as quite a bit of iron melted into the soil during the disasterous fire of May 6th 1790.Its been almost fifty years since the site was last visited hopefully you will be able to get on the property find a few artifacts take some good pictures and post them here.Something to think about,and I have stated this before in posts of mine that were removed,Amelung at the peak of his operation employed over 400 people in his community.He was truly a visionary entrepreneur.This is not to say they all worked in the glass house as there were teachers,iron masters,mill workers,doctors,ministers every tradesmen a town would need to sustain itself.I would be willing to bet that to have a 10 pot furnace going 24 hours a day,probably two shifts of twelve hours each at a minumum 3 workers per furnace twenty gaffers 10 helpers per shift a foreman or two wood haulers,crate assemblers,packers and shipers. I would venture to say that each shift had 70 workers.Double that number because of two shifts,a six day work week as they did honor the day of rest thats 140 employess directly tied to the manufacture of glassware.I am sure Amelung had a book keeper, salesmen, and agents in far citys when you add it all up 180 full time workers is not out of the question.Thats a fortune 500 company by todays standard.The point of all this Matt is there has to be GLASS still there even if it has been picked over very thoroughly over the last 150 years.I would love to come down there if you find sucess gaining access to the property.Good luck and I hope it is sooner then later.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Matt here is a new drawing based on a little additional information.When using a compass the glass works were directly south of due north when looking at the mansion.The key is can you see the mansion today with all of the growth of trees in the area.I know the house was built high on a hill to allow him to see the works from his bedroom.

8E7BBEEAAC4848B2B00BA56CE743C4F4.jpg

Attachments

• 8E7BBEEAAC4848B2B00BA56CE743C4F4.jpg
    8E7BBEEAAC4848B2B00BA56CE743C4F4.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 148

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt If you decide to take a trip out and explore the Amelung site let me know I'd be interested in tagging along.

Chris

baltbottles

Reaction score
Steve,

Can you post a few more pictures of the pattern molded pocket bottle and what are the known rib counts for pieces attributed to Amelung? I have a fragment of a pattern molded salt in a vibrant purple amethyst.

Chris

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Matt If you decide to take a trip out and explore the Amelung site let me know I'd be interested in tagging along.

Chris

You are welcome to come. Would it be better if I scope it out first and see if its even accessable or you just want to take a chance? If its posted I will keep out.
Looks like there is a steep drop off down to the creek there which is typical of the topography over there.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Here is an artifact from a page in my Amelung book.These tulips seen so often on case bottles are an American,German influenced design.
They are found quite a bit on Stiegel bottles also

73AF08B0EF594B45A033C9E004A0C806.jpg

Attachments

• 73AF08B0EF594B45A033C9E004A0C806.jpg
    73AF08B0EF594B45A033C9E004A0C806.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 152

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members