Mason Jar Lid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
Hi all, I dug this jar lid the previous Wednesday and forgot all about it. I've dug, obviously, the zinc topped lids, quick seals, and bail type tops, but never this one. the threaded cap is somewhat roached, but the glass insert is mint. It has many patent dates embossed around the outside and inside rims and in the "Iron Cross" looking logo is "H F J Co." Is it something worthwhile to display or shall I keep it in storage with some of my Ball jars?

Attachments

• IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 195

slugplate

Reaction score
I found out that HFJ Co. is "Hero Fruit Jar Co." and this patent dates as far back as 1856 for this particular lid and the last patent date was 1869. Sorry I bothered you with it, but I had to check what HFJ Co was and found it under vintage fruit jar lids on google. I originally looked under Mason Jar lids first and that didn't pan out. That's when I figured I'd reach out. In the interim, I did find the info.

coreya

Reaction score
The glass inserts are out there but the zinc screw band closure in decent shape are harder to find. Used on jars listed in the Red Book #1244 and 1246

slugplate

Reaction score
The glass inserts are out there but the zinc screw band closure in decent shape are harder to find. Used on jars listed in the Red Book #1244 and 1246
That's interesting about the zinc bands. Don't follow Mason Jars much although I have a few. My earliest is the Ball triple "L". However, I'd love to find the monogramed one.:cool:

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
That is a great find! I save any old mason jar lid that is in decent shape, for future use later if I find jars to go with them. I do the same thing with various bottle caps too.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky