Mason's 10oz Orange and Cola

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
These are the only two I have from Mason's. I love the orange with the instructional top on how to open it.
There are about 10 known cans, 3 generations, a diet ginger ale...one of them is a 12oz first generation marked root beer on the lid. The earliest ad is from 1958 in the Grandview Exponent, MB ...other ads I have see are from Richmond Hill ON for IGA in 1961 in 10oz cans, Eatons in Brandon MB for 1960 in 10oz cans, and Shop-Easy Victoria BC 1960 in 10oz cans.
So it was pretty well distributed but not really that big out west as the market was monopolized by Shasta, White Rock and Cragmont for starters.
My orange can is marked Mason's Beverages limited, Toronto, and the Cola is marked Sole Distributor Harold T. Griffin Limited, Toronto.
20210425_233647.jpg

20210425_233702.jpg

Ok here's a real cool ad from the Winnipeg Free Press-Jun-29-1960.... as I noted above some of the other brands that had just started to claim their stake, well this ad that features the second gen can shows Mason's was working hard too. They were a serious threat to Shasta Beverages out of Vancouver which pretty much had the canning market tied down in Western Canada and as Mason's was now canning in 10oz cans it was real competitive and by 1963 forced Shasta to abandon 12oz cans in favor of 10oz...and in September of 1963 Shasta acquired the contract to can for Coca-Cola and they requested 10oz cans, so that pretty much signaled the end of the 12oz in Canada until the early 1980's. ©-I.Lang 2021
Winnipeg-Free-Press-Jun-29-1960-p-31.Jpeg

So going back to the first gen cans here is a look at one from D. Tanners guide.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 21.24.06.png

And the discovery of this ad from Saint Johns Daily News-September,10-1955 was a nice surprise as it puts Mason's in Canada a bit earlier that the 1958 date I had from the Grandview Exponent.
Saint-Johns-Daily-News-September,10-1955-p-4.jpeg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
These are the only two I have from Mason's. I love the orange with the instructional top on how to open it.
There are about 10 known cans, 3 generations, a diet ginger ale...one of them is a 12oz first generation marked root beer on the lid. The earliest ad is from 1958 in the Grandview Exponent, MB ...other ads I have see are from Richmond Hill ON for IGA in 1961 in 10oz cans, Eatons in Brandon MB for 1960 in 10oz cans, and Shop-Easy Victoria BC 1960 in 10oz cans.
So it was pretty well distributed but not really that big out west as the market was monopolized by Shasta, White Rock and Cragmont for starters.
My orange can is marked Mason's Beverages limited, Toronto, and the Cola is marked Sole Distributor Harold T. Griffin Limited, Toronto.
View attachment 224114
View attachment 224115

I've only ever found Mason's cans twice in my area .

one was a cola can ( same as one you posted ) and that was a couple years ago but it was extremely rusted/damaged so didn't keep it

also found this ginger ale can last year near an old railway stop , front still has a lot of colour / logo , back is rusted , not sure if you can read who it was bottled by as the side part was rusted but still has a neat look to it

20210426_083652.jpg
20210426_083652.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
I've only ever found Mason's cans twice in my area .

one was a cola can ( same as one you posted ) and that was a couple years ago but it was extremely rusted/damaged so didn't keep it

also found this ginger ale can last year near an old railway stop , front still has a lot of colour / logo , back is rusted , not sure if you can read who it was bottled by as the side part was rusted but still has a neat look to it

That's a great find!...hey I've added some info above, pretty significant information too. Now if I could find an ad for these third generation cans that'd be great!

RCO

Reaction score
That's a great find!...hey I've added some info above, pretty significant information too. Now if I could find an ad for these third generation cans that'd be great!

I've never seen those early 50's mason cans before , I'd imagine they'd be even harder to find than the cans I was finding ,

never come across any advertisements for them either

the old ads are a great source of info

RCO

Reaction score
i found a rusted orange mason's can , it looks similar to the cola/ginger ale posted but not sure how much it will clean up . will try and post a picture if I'm able to improve the look of it

RCO

Reaction score
here is the mason's orange can I found the other day , you can see its rusted a fair bit but still a lot of original colour there ( orange / white )it may still clean up more but only really has colour on the 1 side

its a 10 oz can in the same design as the cola / ginger ale , haven't found many mason cans before and there were cola or ginger ale , never found an orange one
DSC04361.JPG
DSC04362.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac