Mattawan Dairy acl milk jug Mattawa Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
bored so searched thru some online listings of stuff for sale , came across this milk jug which I though was interesting . its from Mattawa Ontario which is a small town North of Ottawa on the Ottawa River . less than 2000 people live there so its never been that big , semi remote location so not surprised it had its own dairy .

I've never actually been there before , its just sort of in a weird location east of north bay on highway 17 . the reason for a town being there was 2 rivers connect there and a historical canoe portage route/fur trading post . I recently found/been reading a book on mattawa area and towns modern history actually goes back into 1600's which is really old for this area

my dairy book lists 2 other dairies in Mattawa that operated in 30's and 40's before the Mattawan dairy . its listed in book as starting in 1947 and lasting into the 50's . not sure if it would of been located in the town area itself or rural area nearby , the mattawa book I found recently doesn't mention a dairy

I haven't really seen this acl jug before and not sure if I've ever seen any milk jugs from mattawa area period . the owner listed a few other milk jugs for sale from northern ontario as well , honestly no clue whats its worth but definitely interesting to come across .

mattawandairy.jpg
mattawandairy.jpg
mattawandairy1.jpg
mattawandairy1.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
if your wondering the mattawa book I found is called " mattawa the meeting of the waters " by Leo Morel . appears to have been published in 1981 . found it in an antique store in north bay when I was there a couple weeks ago

might try and make it to mattawa itself sometime in 2021 , it sounds like an interesting spot but not sure if there is anywhere to find bottles there or not but I've never been there before so not really sure

DSC03124.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
Great story and a great bottle!

for a small town it seems to have more of a story to it than you'd think , left wondering if anything from the 1600's > 1700's still remains though . in theory is around a 400 year range in time from which there could be items in that small area

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94