May be a bit odd of a question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
I know I keep finding myself posting in here a lot but I've just got one more for you guys [&o]

Here's the thing...my dad bought me my first truck before I get my license in a few months. It's a 2000 Chevrolet S10. It's got some damage to the rear but I'm guessing we're going to make it a father-son project (my dad and I aren't very close so this is a little new to me.) I noticed though the engine has about 143,000 miles on it. Since we're starting to get a little high in mileage I wanted to know what you guys do to keep high-mileage cars in their best working condition and what's the most mileage you've ever gotten out of your cars. I'm a perfectionist and I really want to make sure my "new" truck gets the best possible care and also want to see what you guys have.

Here she is...

$%28KGrHqUOKjEE356DPRZIBN+mVYpGlg%7E%7E_4.JPG

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)]Nice lookin truck by the way! The best thing you can do other than keepin it clean is KEEPING the OIL changed regularly about every 3 thousand miles or so. I have a Toyota pickup with 350.000 miles on it and it runs lika top[:)][:)][:)]

epackage

Reaction score
Keep up on all fluids, belts and normal maintainence with a very close eye, even more so than a new car. Let a qualified mechanic see it, one that you and your dad trust, so they can tell you exactly what you have because the "EYE" test means nothing. I have 3 vehicles that all went well over 200,000 because of regular maintainence by me and regular runs to my mechanic when something didn't seem right, this has saved me alot of money over the years compared to friends who went into stuff like this half-assed.

I recently bought a used Dodge van off of a guy who did wall papering and I only paid $1000 knowing he was asking $1500 but I figured if all I had was the grand when I went he would take it, which he did. I sold my older Dodge Van for $1500 and I have been offered $3000 for the newer one which I'll be keeping. So stay up on the maintainence and if you see, hear or smell something odd make sure you check into it.....Good luck with the truck and your relationship with your dad.....Jim

Jim

Reaction score
I work with vehicles every day. Andy and Jim are right on, maintenance is everything. Treat that truck well, and it should give you another 100K if you want it to. Sure, there will be little bumps along the way (water pump and fuel pump failures are two things that come to mind with higher-mileage GM trucks), but I see plenty of S-10s with well over 200K that still run great. Keep all of your grease fittings greased as well. This will make your tie rods, ball joints and steering linkages last much longer.

I just replaced my old 2000 VW Jetta with 162,000, and I would still drive it anywhere. I have seen some vehicles in my shop with blown engines at 60,000 miles due to lack of maintenance. Old oil turns into a tar-like sludge, which can clog the oil pump screen and destroy even the best-built engine.

I just got back into a truck for my daily driver myself, a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel and 6-speed stick. I fully plan for it to last me 20-30 years, and maintenance will be the key to that happening. ~Jim

Jim

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the highest mileage I have seen people get out of their vehicles. One guy had an old '82 VW Rabbit with 696,000, and it wasn't even a diesel. That was the most I have personally seen on a car. For trucks, it was a 1991 or 92 Dodge Ram diesel with 1.3 MILLION miles. The odometer showed 300K, but the guy who owned it said it had already rolled over. It was rebuilt at 550,000 and had a few clutch replacements, but that was it other than maintenance and normal wear and tear.It's pretty amazing how long vehicles can last when they are taken care of. ~Jim

RedGinger

Reaction score
Here's the thing...my dad bought me my first truck before I get my license in a few months. It's a 2000 Chevrolet S10. It's got some damage to the rear but

Lucky you! Nice looking truck.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Chevy S10 4 cylinder 5 speed 60,000 miles no 4 wheel drive
The best move I ever made with this gas crunch going on.
hell with those big ass gas guzzling hogs.I get my privy tools from one yard to the next,that's all that matters [8D]

GOOD TRUCK!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've only had about 15 or 20 vehicles in my life and only two that had under 100,000. Rot has always been the bane of my driving history. I'm good under the hood but s*** at body upkeep.
Take the time with your dad and build back the relationship and the truck if you can. Another car will be made but he'll be gone when he goes. In some extreme cases that may be for the better but if it's minor stuff, don't let it keep you apart.
As for the most that would 387,??? before the rot got the better if it. Actually, for $500-1000 to fix it I could have gone more but what would be next?
PS:I always like the extended cabs.

kwalker

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Anyone else want to add in please do! It's good to see there's so many guys around here who know what they're talking about. Hopefully the thing I'll have to worry about more on the truck is how to get my 14 foot kayak into the bed of it. Luckily it's a 4 cylinder and even though it'll sound like a weed whacker I won't have to fill up on gas as often as anyone in my family. Especially considering we own full sized trucks and SUV's...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky