Maybe a mustard jar? Honey jar? No idea!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
Found this little guy on a hike a few weeks back. Picked it up because of the different look it has, the ribbed shoulders and oval shape and small size. Probably is not too old or anything, most other stuff found in that area so far has been like from the 70’s or so by my estimate. But was just curious as to what was in it? Thought maybe honey, because of the ribs, but other somewhat similar type jars I looked up had the ribbing the whole way down the jar like a beehive kinda look. Then I thought like a little mustard jar or something, but google tells me nothing I saw that matched. So... just curious. If anyone could help, it would cure weeks of me vaguely wondering, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 237

sandchip

Reaction score
My first impression was ink, but that's just a guess.

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering ink too! I didn’t think it was old enough for it though... but now I go looking and apparently you can still get bottles of ink nowadays! Learn something new every day, here I was thinking ink bottles were out of use like, a way, way long time ago, lol.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah ink would be my guess too, towards the end of the era where fountain pens were commonplace. But like you said, you can still buy bottles of ink today and some people still use fountain pens.

DavidW

Reaction score
It looks similar to the Bixby brand JET OIL shoe polish bottles, but the lip looks a bit different (wider) on yours than on some of those bottles shown online. So I can't say for sure what was in it.

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
It looks similar to the Bixby brand JET OIL shoe polish bottles, but the lip looks a bit different (wider) on yours than on some of those bottles shown online. So I can't say for sure what was in it.

Oh, yea I see what you’re saying! Those are cool bottles too, now I want to find one of those to put with this guy, they’d look nice together in the window :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora