Maybe Heading in the Right Direction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Yesterday was a bit more encouraging. I dug a Wyeth & Bro. Phila. with what I believe is a tooled lip. It looks as if it's pretty common, clear glass. Thd strangest thing happened, though. It had a small (maybe 1" long) crack near the shoulder on obverse last night while cleaning it. Tonight when I went to photo it, the crack had expanded, easily 3x's as long as last night. Could this have been due to the hot water I used to clean it?

Rapid temperature change can definitely crack glass items even when no preexisting defect is visually evident. My own thought is that bottles, due to stresses inherent in their various contours and material thicknesses, especially prevalent in older blown examples, are more susceptible to thermal shock than other glass products such as window glass. That said, I suspect any experienced structural firefighter can relate anecdotes of heated windows shattering upon being sprayed with cold water.

SMJB

Reaction score
Yeah, she's actually onboard with me. She really thought the perfume above was cool. I put the colored ones on a shelf in the bathroom.

embe

Reaction score
Nice finds, agree about the thermal shock... ~100 years ago the glass chemistry (although remarkable) might not be as advanced as it is today, but most still stand up well

SMJB

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll definitely watch that if I'm lucky enough to find another!

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been digging a spot on my property for a while now. Tons of shards, and the full ones I've pulled are primarily 1920s-'50s. I'm also finding stuff like drinking glasses, and a lot of broke china, as well as broken crockery.
Yesterday was a bit more encouraging. I dug a Wyeth & Bro. Phila. with what I believe is a tooled lip. It looks as if it's pretty common, clear glass. Thd strangest thing happened, though. It had a small (maybe 1" long) crack near the shoulder on obverse last night while cleaning it. Tonight when I went to photo it, the crack had expanded, easily 3x's as long as last night. Could this have been due to the hot water I used to clean it?
I also found a cobalt Phillips in good shape.
The other one shown is a rather pretty perfume (still has the scent), with a unique logo. Has wood cork stopper with the crown and post still in OK shape. I'm wondering if I could get any info on these. I hope I'm getting into an older part of the dump area, given that Wyeth..
Thanks!

I cracked a fabulous double demijohn in my impatience to clean it from its residue with hot water. It’s really old glass and they can’t take the huge temperature shift. I feel your pain for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky