McCann "Hokara"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

microtech

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I recently dug up a clear small, 3" tall, bottle with a lip of 1 1/4" diameter that reads J.D. McCann Co, " Hokara", Hornell,NY. It has a fine seam that goes up to the top of the lip. I could not find any info on this bottle on the internet. I'll post a photo as soon as I can. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated. Thanks!

David E

Reaction score
Not "Hokara" but do find the company and a bottle,
J.D. McCann Co. Hornellsville. N.Y.
Products unknown. in 1929-30 and 1948 the offices were located at 26 Forbes S., Rochester N.Y.
Clear; 2 1/2" x 1 1/4" Diameter (base)
Shoulder ca. diameter 1 5/8"

Dave

KentOhio

Reaction score
I have the same bottle, but hand-made, so the company must go back to at least the turn of the century. I never found anything on mine either. In my experience, it's a rare bottle, but rare is different from valuable.

microtech

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I've got some photos that I will post below.

KentOhio: I'm wondering what the base looks like on the one you have. My bottle looks like it has a very fine seam ( barely visible) going up to the lip and the base has a slighty raised rough small circular dime sized shape in the center. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos.

thanks again!
[:)]

Zx71023.jpg

Attachments

• Zx71023.jpg
    Zx71023.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 125

microtech

Reaction score
If anyone has any information on what "Hokara" means please let me know. I am wondering what the bottle I posted above contained.
thanks so much![:D][:D]

KentOhio

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just seeing your question now. I'll check and get back to you about the base.

GlassWorx

Reaction score
I just dug one of these in Maine. It's a little different then the one pictured, a little smaller and less rounded. It's just a guess here, but I'm thinking this was paint, you know like "Japanese Gold Paint", but that word Hokara is found in Polynesian and in Yiddish as well. Sometimes a manufacturer would use a little known word like that as a code, to tell others their nationality or belief system, and count on sales due to that. A more obvious example is the Star of David on older beers or sodas, as well as certain moon and star configurations indicating a Slavic background. Rob Mooers, GlassWorx, Sanford Maine.

David E

Reaction score
A small ring (about size of dime) on bottom would be from a semi-automatic machine which was used in the 1800.s and also 1900.s (don't have any dates though)
Could only be used on wide mouth bottles (Jars)

Dave

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18