Melted jar lip

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
Two months ago I discovered a bottle dump. The owner, an old age lady allowed me to take some bottles from there.
She was putting bottles on that point of her land trhoug the years.
I found this one among 50's.
60's and 70's bottles and jars.

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
20200119_180711-1.jpg

When I realized the lip was warped I thought it melted on fire. Then clean it up and examined it carefully. The jar is in mint condition. Even looking from above the top's outer side makes a perfect circle.
Obviously they melted the edge in the classwork in order to eliminate the roughness
The mold seams run all along the body and thread and there's another circular seam around the "neck" as if made in ABM.
Unlucky neither has anything embossed nor a cap.20200119_181011.jpg20200119_182705-1.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Huh I've never seen one like that before, my guess is that it's a manufacturing flaw though because burned bottles pretty much always have some staining on them. I wouldn't expect to see a 1950s bottle with a flaw like that leaving the factory up here, but the quality control measures might not have been as strong in South America. That bubble on the heal and the waviness on the glass already indicates that they were using older manufacturing methods, we don't have anything like that on our 1950s bottles.

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
Huh I've never seen one like that before, my guess is that it's a manufacturing flaw though because burned bottles pretty much always have some staining on them. I wouldn't expect to see a 1950s bottle with a flaw like that leaving the factory up here, but the quality control measures might not have been as strong in South America. That bubble on the heal and the waviness on the glass already indicates that they were using older manufacturing methods, we don't have anything like that on our 1950s bottles.
This is the first time I see this fenomena. I sow bubbles and waviness like this in some bottles made here but never such a deformation.
Maybe .it was made in other country than this and your explanation could be right. Now and then I find bottles with strange marks or patterns due to a low quality control (1920's ).

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky