Metal Clad Bottles and Drinking Glasses

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
[ul][*]I have two bottles that were hand blown. and the final blow was done in a metal sleeve that had square holes in the metal sleeve - one bottle has eight holes and half of them had the squares in the metal; with corners up and and four set with the sides flat. The band is 5" tall. The bottom has a full covering push up sand or glass particle pontil, That also provided an inch deep conical push up in the center. The finish was cut and tooled. This bottle was also turned in the mold prior to the banding because there are no mold seams. [/ul]I have not been able to find out where it was made - or anything about it. I have another similar banded bottle that was blown in an iron mold that has cold mold ripple in the glass thickness. This one was blown in a metal band that had to have been held in the mold maybe. I doubt it though, because of the temperature differential between the glass and the band. I wondered about this because the shoulder and heal diameter is bulged out further than the four leaf. This one also has a sand or glass powder cone tapered pontiled bottom.
The thing that is unique for this one, is that it has four little drinking glasses 2-3/8"high with a 1-3/4" top diameter and a band of four of the same - four clover leaf forms on each glass.They were made some where. I would like to know more about them. RED MatthewsBottles are #1600 and 1601, in my collection. RED MATTHEWS * * *Another bottle of this same construction

sunrunner

Reaction score
Red , when I lived in California I picked up two of this bottles , at a flea market I San Jose . I was tolled they were made in MEXICO .

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well guys, it is a bottlemystery. I like to study the stages of early glass making - but no one has touched the subject well. I am fascinated by the concept of blowing hot glass against metal if it was to hot it would stick to the metal, if it was too cool it would check the glass. None of this happrned on these pieces. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Red, I have or had a book I remember mentioning "cage" blown or something like that. It's was a pretty obscure reference and I don't know what I read it in but maybe that's what it meant. I never was sure but I have seen bottles that sound like what your talking about. Perhaps they were free-blown in a "cage and paddle formed or rolled depending on the shape?Maybe if you can somehow get a picture....?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
looks like nhpharm has nailed this Mexican glass for sure...............we find a lot of it in California, especially in the bay area flea markets, looks kinda old, but if you have actually held a pontiled bottle from a early American glasshouse, they are not even close to being the same........pottery barn décor for sure[:)][:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi