METAL DETECTING - deep dumps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
I inserted this question as part of a reply to another thread. Since nobody has responded, I'd thought I'd try again by starting a new thread.

Do any forum members have success locating deep dumps and privy pits with metal detectors? I’d like to get a metal detector for locating dump contents that could be anywhere from 2’ to 8’ down—any suggestions?

In the past, I’ve located several old sawmill sites and logging camps in heavy forests in Washington State, but was unable to locate the rubbish dumps. Other visible relics that were strewn about, such as broken axe heads and saw blades, but an absence of glass and tin can residue, indicate that the sites had not been dug out or cleaned up. I suspect that subsequent earth-moving activity, even log yarding from two subsequent harvests after the old growth was cut, have covered over the dumpsites. I located a couple of old mill sites where waste cedar slabs trimmed off of shingle bolts literally filled in small gullies—not having a backhoe to dig out an entire ravine, I’m wondering if a metal detector would determine if trash from the cookhouse was somewhere under that mess? Even after a hundred years, a probe will not penetrate such material to any appreciable depth. Water and wind erosion can also cover old dumps with drifted sand and mud flows.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Will

69ctiss

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have had some success finding dumps with detectors. I have two detectors that are different brands and they both work well. As for the depth of detecting... two to three feet seems to be about it. I turn the sensitivity up and the discression down to get all metals. It is often frustrating as we search along stone walls here in NH there are often burried dumps of barbed wire that show up as many scattered beeps just like a bottle dump. Hope this helps, good luck. Peace, T.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The only detector that will reliably find buried metal at depths over a couple of feet is the Whites TM-808. It is fairly large "two box" type detector that is very user friendly and will find metal to several feet, depending on the density and amount of it. The rigs are expensive, though, and will set you back several hundred bucks. Do an internet search and you'll find dealers who offer these detectors at fair prices.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
hi ,thought i'd chime in.i have found many dumps over the years with metal detectors,but most dumps like the others said are found from items in the 2-4 foot range at best.most dumps are found from stuff being close to surface and can range in depth.but really good stuff can be found with them.alot of the older dumps i found were very close to the structures that were near them especially colonial dumps and most of these had piles of rock or stones on top of them.at first i used to leave these stone piles alone because it seemed like to much work but great finds came from beneath .good luck.also the bigger the coil usually the deeper you get down.also look at the goldbug detector alot of beercan diggers use these and say they get alot of depth. the badger

willong

Reaction score
Thanks to Todd, Michael, and Dave for your replies to my question--I appreciate the tips. What the badger said about "the bigger the coil usually the deeper you get down" makes sense. I saw a cable program--it might have been a "Best Places to Find Cash and Treasures" episode--that profiled a guy who searches farm fields in the Midwest for big iron meteorites. He towed an oversized coil behind his quad ATV and located meteorites that looked to be buried around seven or eight feet deep. The coil was rectangular in shape, about six feet by four feet, and appeared to simply be framed out of PVC plumbing pieces and a couple of cheap utility wheels like one might buy at Home Depot for a garden cart. Any electronics technicians out there who cared to join the discussion?

By the way Todd, some of that old barbwire is pretty collectible too.

Thanks and regards,

Will

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
The rule of the larger the coil the greater the depth holds true and two-box detectors are ideal for locating very deep ferrous/non-ferrous objects massed in the substrate. One could also make a claim for ground-penetrating radar for charting variable densities, but all these methods can be labor-intensive and require a certain degree of equipment expertise. I always fall back on the tried-and-true method of probing suspected sites.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis