Metal Magnet is now stuck on the bottom of lake

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
That's too funny about switching the coins. :p

I just checked $10 face value, and it's up to $284.21, so that's $2.84 a dime.

I also found a Canada dime from 1940 in one of those change counting machines at a grocery store a couple years ago , it was just lying there when I walked by

when I saw those 2 US dimes I could tell rate away the colour looked different than a modern dime , not sure of the exact years but late 40's or 50's

embe

Reaction score
I also found a Canada dime from 1940 in one of those change counting machines at a grocery store a couple years ago , it was just lying there when I walked by

Working retail as a kid (back when people often paid in exact change), some of the cashiers would have a keen eye for old coins. If there were a few at the end of each shift, Boss would approve balancing the till with newer coins from their own pocket, and you could build a pretty quick collection that way.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I know what you mean about stirring up the bottom, and in the lakes it takes forever for things to settle down again.

1962 and prior U.S. dimes, quarters, half dollars, and dollars, are about 85% silver. I used to look through my coins to collect them, but they are all pretty much out of circulation now because of the price of silver, which keeps going up.

I used to do metal detecting in the old ghost towns, but never found much that I can remember, maybe a few coins, but mostly things like old cans, and mining equipment, like old chains.
It's pre 64 and they are 90% silver

RCO

Reaction score
an update about my metal magnet , I had went back there a couple times with thoughs about swimming down to get it but boats were always parked over it or such so never attempted

early this morning when it was quiet and no boats I was able to make a quick dive down and recovered it . it was actually rather easy , only stuck in some wood and came out easy .

it cleaned up well , the picture is from the dock and looks rusty , the metal bar was attached to the rope to sink it so it wouldn't get stuck in a boat propeller .

20210728_101802.jpg

Mailman1960

Reaction score
on Saturday I went back to the same docks where I found that odd metal tool thing and though it be a good time to check that area out some more .

but things went terribly wrong almost as soon as I started , it got stuck on something near the dock/boat slip . I tried to get it out and pull different directions but it wouldn't move . I've got it stuck before ( in other locations not here ) but that was during summer and I'd just swim down and free it

its still too cold for me to go swimming here so I had no choice but to leave it there but since it got stuck in a boat slip I had to sink the rope too so that it wouldn't get stuck in a boat propeller .

I haven't been swimming at that specific boat slip before but have done a lot of swimming around those docks before . know that there is some crazy pine tree roots down there . those docks are also held in place by large metal chains . I'm wondering if maybe it got stuck on one but I didn't think that I was near them .

might attempt to swim there in june and try and free it or just buy a new one , also still have the original metal magnet I got in 2019 but its not as good as the one I had been using last year and lost yesterday .

a picture of it when it was brand newView attachment 225636
I like everybody seems to think you could just jump in some water. I've been in hot tubs in lake Tahoe jumped out and roll around in the snow That's not the problem problem is the quarry itself the rocks are covered with slime and it's not real safe I'll wait till I get a canoe My ears are bad that doesn't mean anything. My knees are bad my ankles bad my hands are bad that's not the problem.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
on Saturday I went back to the same docks where I found that odd metal tool thing and though it be a good time to check that area out some more .

but things went terribly wrong almost as soon as I started , it got stuck on something near the dock/boat slip . I tried to get it out and pull different directions but it wouldn't move . I've got it stuck before ( in other locations not here ) but that was during summer and I'd just swim down and free it

its still too cold for me to go swimming here so I had no choice but to leave it there but since it got stuck in a boat slip I had to sink the rope too so that it wouldn't get stuck in a boat propeller .

I haven't been swimming at that specific boat slip before but have done a lot of swimming around those docks before . know that there is some crazy pine tree roots down there . those docks are also held in place by large metal chains . I'm wondering if maybe it got stuck on one but I didn't think that I was near them .

might attempt to swim there in june and try and free it or just buy a new one , also still have the original metal magnet I got in 2019 but its not as good as the one I had been using last year and lost yesterday .

a picture of it when it was brand newView attachment 225636
I have a more powerful magnet when it gets stuck I use a come along or a kayak, waders whatever it takes.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Should have just used the kids to get it...
When mine was stuck on the bridge I was going to put my daughter in a harness and lower over the edge, she didn't have a problem with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230324-212801~2.png
    Screenshot_20230324-212801~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Kids are generally not real smart concerning risk and other people's are expendable. I've considered fostering some for reasons not totally humanitarian...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18