Millville Bottle Works.........

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
Here's a couple of bottles that my neighbor gave me that I know nothing about.
They are embossed: Millville Bottle Works 1888 This Bottle Not To Be Sold.
On the base is a W in a circle.
Does anybody know anything about these???

Vt56831.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56831.jpg
    Vt56831.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 305

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Woody they don't look too old and all I can find on that trade mark is "Wheaton" since 1946.
TCW
TCW Co 1888
and WHEATON would be since 1920
I see there are years misssing but that's how Julian Toulouse (bottles & their makers) says, unless I copied it wrong

vtspring

Reaction score
I wonder if these could be asociated with the millville fruit jar(whitalls patent june 18th 1861) see the red book of fruit jars #2179 to #2188.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Woody, I had the first impression that Dave had, especially with the 'W' on the base. The wire for the stoppers also looks 'recent'. How's the condition of the rubber on the stopper? Is it dried or cracked? Nice looking, but I agree with David, not pre-1900.

woody

Reaction score
The rubber is in good shape, Norm, and I do believe it is some sort of repro produced at the Wheaton Glass works in Millville, New Jersey.

1888 is the year the glass works came into existence, Millville Glass Works.

Has anyone ever seen these, what I will call, reproduction bottle before????
I'm familiar with their mini Wheaton reproduction bottles, but I've never seen any like these before.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Gorgeous!!! I'd say definitely Wheaton, reproduction or special edition. Wheaton made some special bottles for their collectors clubs which weren't available to the general public, also made some special commemoratives for private companies celebrating their anniversaries etc. I've a lot of Wheatons, but the Wheaton collectors web site hasn't been available last time I checked, and on ebay, I haven't seen many Wheatons except the miniatures and occasionally one of the larger ones.

Botman

Reaction score
Hey Woody
In the 1970s I worked at the Wheaton Glass Company in Millville, New Jersey. We made many different kinds of glassware including Avon bottles Presidential Bottles and historical Reproductions, but I don't recall having seen the production of your two finds during the time I worked there.
Botman

kimmelissa

Reaction score
New to the bottle collecting here as well. My sis in law has the same bottle only brown with a white porcelain stopper. The rubber seems in good shape. the glass has lots of bubbles. Looks authentic. We took it to the antiques road show but they couldnt identify it to be authentic or where it originated. There is one for sale by gypsy on the auction forum. Was wondering what the value is myself. This is a pic I borrowed for the auction forum to give you an idea of what it looks like. On the porcelain stopper it has GEM PHILA USA. Thanks for your help! Melissa
Ol31343.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
The style stopper was patented by Martin Landenberger in 1901 and wasn't very popular. The only known example was amber.

I'd say they were repoductions to celebrate Millville's anniversary but I could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora